Pallet fire

8anna8, Apr 10, 6:25pm
Looking at installing a Pallet fire. Does any one have one? Any opinions on there heating ability, pro's and cons would be appreciated. Thanks

hulloitsme, Apr 10, 6:57pm
Lots of people chop up old pallets for firewood, but are you meaning wood pellets?

gpg58, Apr 10, 7:33pm
Depends on the quality of pellets and moisture content.
Personally i hate the noise of the combustion fan and auger feeding pellets.

alleycatz, Apr 10, 7:57pm
cons. none as im deaf.

pros. easy to use - even wife can use it without burning herself , clean to use - no wood chips and crap and no spiders hiding in the wood. bag lasts a couple of days , buy a bag every 2 weeks all year and then winter wood is prepaid , warms up fast , no chopping or handling wood at all - did i mention no mess ! and storage is nice and tidy and no BIG shed needed to hold/store wood. and no mess

tjma, Apr 10, 8:11pm
Really good, easy to use, easy to clean, no dirty wood, no wood shed, buy the bags as you need them, good heating.

Cons: no power no heating.

rim12, Apr 10, 8:48pm
neigbour had one,had it removed as fan noise drove them mad. have now got heatpump. in saying that my daughter has one in large house and no problem,heats well.

junie2, Apr 10, 11:57pm
I'd heard you need power to start the fire? Is that not so? Or is there some sort of back-up?

gpg58, Apr 11, 12:23am
Yes you need power at all times, (for fans and auger and to start).

jan2242, Apr 11, 9:50am
Do you have an exisiting wood fire? If so it is simple to use pellets with.

lythande1, Apr 11, 2:52pm
Cons: Not that cheap to run, as woodburners, that is

viking60, Apr 11, 3:28pm
Very convenient and throw out a lot of heat. Ours has 5 heat settings but mostly we only have it on the second setting up.We buy pellets from Natures Flame in bulk and stack the bags up in attached garage. We did try Bunnings pellets but they don't burn too well. We have only had one power cut in 13 years where we live since we installed it and that was during the summer and only lasted about 20 mins so not too worried about power cuts. We did have a start up fuse blow once and it wouldn't start but you can start them with firelighters. Our house is quite large and it heats all through if on high.

tjma, Apr 11, 11:25pm
They put out a lot of heat, I know someone with a new free standing fire, that is quite large and it doesn’t throw anywhere near as much heat as my pellet fire. Yes does need power all of the time for the fan and auger, I don’t find either noisy.

davidmoore, Apr 13, 3:58am
we had 1 ,about 5 yrs old, needed regular visits from serviceman to keep running, seemed expensive to run 2/3 bags of pellets a week put out good heat, was in parents house (retired) they had trouble with lifting bags every time they went to buy pellets, have gone back to a log fire, i reckon its cheaper to run (log fire) power cuts no prob

smallwoods, Apr 13, 11:33pm
Mine has battery back up, will run for a couple of days at least.

solarboy, Nov 26, 6:50am
Appropriate user name to be commenting on pellets :-)