SKYLIGHT - INDOOR

wendybob2, Nov 25, 5:12pm
EzyLite Skylight Kit 300mm White, BUNNINGS
Has anyone installed a skylight for internal rooms, we have purchased a house which has an internal bathroom, it is so dark, we were thinking of putting in a skylight instead of sensor light. need some help. thanks

zak410, Nov 25, 6:36pm
I know about a similar product, 'Solatube' and it is excellent; looks like a light is on.

This looks similar, someone may 'enlighten' us about their efficiency.

fast4motion, Nov 25, 6:48pm
I've seen Solar powered LED oyster lights for sale in the past at Mitre 10. Personally I'd be researching something like that first, as they don't require a hole to be cut in the roof. You just run a cable to a suitably placed solar panel outside.

amasser, Nov 25, 8:06pm
What is the cost compared with leaving a L.E.D. light on? No installation costs.

wendybob2, Nov 26, 2:13am
Its a DIY from BUNNINGS about $140.

wendybob2, Nov 26, 2:16am
same as

wendybob2, Nov 26, 2:19am
Yes, it looks the same

wendybob2, Nov 26, 2:27am
This is a DIY project

golfdiver, Nov 26, 9:54am
What are the local council bylaws about having a bathroom with no natural light/ ventilation in your area. As far as the skylight goes, you generally get what you pay for. Solatubes are over 1k but are very very good. Lots of cheaper versions are notorious for leaks and for not lasting very long

survivalkiwi, Nov 26, 10:02am
I second the "you get what you pay for". I have seen cheap ones that only create a glow. Solatube really put out the light.

crazynana, Nov 26, 10:32am
I would be a bit dubious about a DIY thing you have to cut a hole in the roof for. We have two Sun Tunnels in our kitchen which was quite dark on cloudy days and they are wonderful. I would think the cost of lights would be a lot cheaper. Sun Tunnels or Solatubes are pricey but you get value in the long run. lots of natural light even on a dull day.

rojill, Nov 26, 8:56pm
My son bought one and your one sounds like the same that he installed.
VERY disappointed with it so much so he took it back for a full refund even thought it had been installed it. He looked up alternatives on the internet and found a custom made square one, and the difference in the amount of light that the new one directed into the room made the one from Bunnings look pathetic.

taurus2005, Nov 30, 11:50am
I had this put in, best thing ever, visitors always look for the light switch.

samanya, Nov 30, 3:34pm
I have a 15m hall & it was quite dark, so two solar tubes later & it's great.
Well worth it.

rusty-bones, Nov 30, 7:42pm
I was going to get one. I looked at the Bunnings ones and the Mitre 10. They look awful so tinny and I don't think they would last long and would cause more problems. Go and have a look at them, the skylight brands etc are solid as. I was disappointed because this was my plan too, I can't afford the good ones. Anyway those lights sound good, will investigate them.

lissie, Feb 3, 4:13pm
We put a solatube in when we bought a house with a dark corridor/internal study nook. It took us weeks to stop looking for the light switch! You can get them combined with lights and fans for bathrooms. They are fantastic and worth every cent