Growing sunflower plants

falco_inlaw, Jan 13, 3:03pm
i would like to know the best way to grow sunflower plants and what time of year should you do this.

have also been told there are many varieties but one that was mentioned was Russian giant or something like that . any help would be great full

harrislucinda, Jan 13, 3:07pm
best to grow where they will stay as dont transplant very well out of the wind Start sewing seeds about Oct Nov

maclad, Jan 13, 4:27pm
They will transplant quite happily especially if grown in 6 cell punnets, but it is getting a bit late for this season now. They should have been in the ground 6 weeks or more ago for a good display. I grow the multi branching type, Moulin Rouge, the red form and there is a yellow form, cannot remember the name. I grow these in preference to Giant Russian as I get far more flowers. Giant Russian only one bloom per plant. I also add dwarf red and yellow to the mix. I always leave the spent plants in the ground as I enjoy watching the birds enjoy the fruits of my labours. Bit tatty but if you can deal with it then the birds will be your friends. Then I get lots of self sown the following year which I either leave in situ or will transplant. makes it more interesting as I get some pretty random mixes and garden always looks very natural. Never had any problems transplanting them.

falco_inlaw, Jan 13, 3:42pm
thank you all for your comments MUCH APPRECIATED