Narrow growing hedge/privacy plants 3-4m tall

dibble35, Feb 13, 7:48pm
I cant think of any plants that will do what I want. I want to grow a small tree/large shrub next to my 1.8m wooden fence so that it'll add another 1-2 m height - for privacy from the neighbours. The neighbours kids climb onto the top of the fence while i'm at work and tease my dog apparently. (other neighbour told me) It has to be thick growing enough to deter them, not slow growing and something I can keep trimmed to maybe upto1m wide at the bottom - limited room. Hope you can come up with more ideas then me, thanks.

nonumbers, Feb 13, 10:34pm
Something with thorns - barberry, holly, roses?

dibble35, Feb 13, 11:13pm
LOL, barberry would be good. theres some cool colours in it, nice burgundy one I think. but I think there'll all deciduous.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 14, 12:08am
Phebalium? Akeake? Pittos? How about syzigium? There is no plant to that shape, as you know, but you can trim these

piquant, Feb 14, 3:41am
The only thing that comes to mind is cupressus sempervirens. Quick growing, narrow and will extend above the fenceline. But as previously mentioned, maybe something thorny - grown ON the fence might be the go - stop the little so and so's climbing it in the first place. Something super prickly, like Albertine or Mermaid. That should do nicely!

dibble35, Feb 14, 7:04am
Thanks guys, I know the pitto i'd like to plant - Pitto Stephens Island, its my fav but only have very small ones at work, might have to ring around some of our suppliers see if anyones got a few bigger ones.

iluvmuse, Feb 14, 7:33am
In the mean time I would slather the top fence rail with auto grease

wheelz, Feb 15, 1:48am
I'm doing god same using a climbing hedge of star jasmine.

Lol. @ "god" . stoopid autocorrect, was meant to be "the".

dibble35, Feb 15, 3:58am
I think I need an electric wire running along the top of the fence, only thing that'll stop these little buggers. :-)

poppy500, Jun 21, 9:23am
Escalonia. Just keep it trimmed so it doesn't get too wide.
Some varieties get to 3m