Tell me about your garden shed.

Page 1 / 2
juliewn, Jan 25, 4:29am
Hi Smiler. Happy New Year. :-). how's your Shed going. would love to see some photo's. :-)

I hadn't thought of a verandah wide enough for a rocking chair. thanks for the suggestion. it would be the perfect Summer spot to relax, with shade from peach trees there. and a sunny spot in Winter.

I've added just over 200 clinker bricks to my growing collection of materials. free from a house where the fireplace was taken out. the mortar is easy to remove from the bricks too.

My cousins recently built a hen-house in Brisbane. Dale used a garage roller door for the roof and the back of the shed. he built the shed frame, then unrolled the door over the roof frame and down over the back of the shed, bolted it into place and it was done. I might borrow his idea, as the back of my shed will be against a fence, and so will be out of sight, Above the front part of the roof I'll add a window set above the iron. similar to this:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=top%20of%20roof%20window%20&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=top%20of%20roof%20window%20&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=217F65210CCD0F092155F4F9C42EB44AD26259A9&selectedIndex=126

I'm adding more materials as I find them. until like you, I can create an interesting multi-use garden shed. :-)

smiler127, Aug 13, 9:33am
I'm so excited, building work on mine starts in a couple of weeks, been collecting materials for about 4 years while planning this. We're using as much recycled stuff as we can. I've made countless drawings and lists and have so many ideas but I'd love to hear about your garden shed.

twdcn, Aug 14, 2:20am
Well. my garden shed is CHOKa full. Made from recycled corrugated, concrete floor, double windows, 2 doors, full of heapsa plant pots, the mowers, the garden tools . and general stuff so where there was a gap it was filled. by HUBBY! hurry up and get ya own shed! Lol

thistle4, Aug 14, 3:30am
I love my garden shed. I keep all the garden tools in it as well as seeds, cat carrying boxes, the big BBQ and the chook food. I am going to ask Mr. T to remove the big BBQ to his garage/workshop so I have even more space.

smiler127, Aug 14, 6:19am
Oh thistle that sounds lovely. When the bbq goes you will fill the space no trouble.
I've been to the recyclers today and scored 3 arched church windows. The fact they are from a church will keep the OH out completely.

paix1, Aug 14, 6:40am
. I would love to see pics of ALL the above!

jill117, Aug 16, 1:26am
I dream of this one:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/51791464435387447/

I can't imagine mine would ever look like that in reality though, lol. There doesn't exactly seem to be any, like, 'dirt', does there?

biggles45, Aug 16, 2:00am
Wow sounds great! Come back and post a pic when it's finished!

Ours is a bog standard weatherboard shed, concrete floor, almost single garage size. Usually a tip. In spite of having some shelving and large nails to hang spades/forks/rakes etc, DH chucks everything on the floor when he puts it away! I have a tidy up every now and then but it ends up the same a few weeks later! Keep garden tools, sprays, wheelbarrow, cat carry cage etc. It is also housing a coal range that was in the pantry when we moved here but had never been installed - I so want to instal it but having trouble fitting it into the kitchen plan!

smiler127, Aug 16, 3:01am
Oh a coal range, in your shed. You should install it in there! If not you have to fit in into the kitchen somehow.

I'm just watching online the first episode of George Clarke's Shed of the Year which has just aired in the UK OMG! I may have to start planning again. Some of those sheds are amazing.

Keep your shed ideas coming though, plans can be chaged at this stage ;)

rusty-bones, Aug 16, 11:20pm
A couple of years ago on Trademe I brought a Playhouse. A fairly good size one too with a door and little windows. I love it for my Garden Shed. It sits between my garden and keeps everything in including old vintage toys for when the Grandkids come. It has musical things hanging in it and the kids wind them up and think thats where the fairys live. I have fairy lights on it too. Just love it and it cost me $50 I think.

paix1, Aug 17, 12:39am
rusty bones - that is a GREAT idea! And I love the way you are using & decorating it! I do love the one shown above, but don't know how practical it would be - for one, I wouldn't like my garden tools hanging outside like that. I have two garden sheds - don't look much from the outside, although tidy & painted. The larger one is for my wood storage, and the smaller one for everything else - and it is soooo tidy, even if I say so myself hehe (OCD here lol) - but only me so doesn't get messed up. Always clean things up, re-oil tools etc before putting away. Does help. (. goes off to check playhouses).

smiler127, Aug 23, 4:41am
Oh that sounds lovely rusty-bones!I bet the grandkids love it.

Today the demolition yard has delivered all the lovely wood, poles and windows I'm recycling into my shed and the wood yard has delivered the treated timber I couldn't source secondhand. The shingles have also arrived, I'm so thrilled with them.

Now to get started. fingers crossed the rain doesn't start. I'm already mentally decorating the inside.

meoldchina, Sep 23, 9:14pm
Smiler127, "Shed" is not the word I would use to describe your beautiful building. You have obviously received Divine inspiration from the old church windows! I can imagine NZ Homes & Gardens will be beating a path to your shed door and producing a feature on it when it is complete. My two tin sheds look like Nissen Huts compared to your palace. Keep up the good work.

smiler127, Sep 23, 9:52pm
Thank you, meoldchina!

I'm hoping the church windows and garlic round the door will keep the OH out. He has his own (very large) workshop and can STAY.OUT.OF.MINE.

rusty-bones, Sep 24, 12:16am
Oh wow just awsome smiler127. Please keep us updated and the photos coming. I think it sounds enchanting. I love Pinterest and have a Garden Shed Board and it sounds like I would so Pin your Sheds photo. Great inspiration from pinterest. I love DIY and going out finding these bits of treasures to add to something, and thinking outside the square. Can't wait to see more.

biggles45, Sep 24, 1:21am
Just awesome! It is a beautiful building. love those windows. I would put my coal range in there with a nice rocking chair and a shelf full of books - far to nice for a garden shed!

lythande1, Sep 24, 2:03am
Haven't got one. Place too small.
Stuff is in laundry/under house/in garage.

imagine4, Sep 24, 3:15am
its to small. I haven't got a garage so use the shed for all my stuff minus my car

smiler127, Sep 24, 4:38am
That's gorgeous! I want to move in.

pom-pom, Sep 29, 1:01am
smiler127 - I presume you mean the playhouse and not the shed lined with packing cases! I can offer the latter at a very reasonable rent though. !

samanya, Sep 30, 2:28am
smiler127 . what an absolutely awesome shed, congratulations.
Mine is plain & ordinary, colour steel corrugated iron, about 4 x 3 m, a good sized, deep shelf at either end & I've used wooden pallets to hold stakes & larger tools & numerous nails in the framing to hold smaller tools (as you do) & it's usually a bit of a mess . as someone up there ^^^ said, tidy it up & in no time it's messy again! It does have a 'verandah' though & a door which is kept shut right now as the starlings think it would be good to nest in the roof.

biggal, Sep 30, 2:44am
How do I get the old black alkathene water piping to slide over 15mm copper tube with a croxed hump on its end? . Heating doesn't do it for me

merrilegs, Oct 1, 10:30pm
Oooooh smiler, that is stunning. Hmmmmm, must get some plans going. lol

crackerjack19, Oct 6, 4:27am
Oh heck and I thought that I could escape the female stuff by coming on here
well another lesson learned LOL

blenheim-trader, Oct 21, 10:45am
Any progress ?