Your marine plywood painting tips/products

about-time, Feb 27, 11:17pm
Hi, just calling for any insiders tips, painting process and product recommendations for this type of wood (marine plywood). I am painting an outdoor furniture piece from scratch - it's still rough and fresh. Alot of money has gone into this piece, so want to make sure I do it, and treat it right - right from the very start.

Yes, have googled - just gathering more info from a NZer point of view too, as there might be some tips based on our unique climate. or I may just be way overthinking it, lol. Anyway, any help much appreciated.

budgel, Feb 28, 5:35am
Seal the edges of the ply to prevent water ingress between laminations.

I painted my moored boat ply cabin sides and top with water based enamel after an appropriate primer. It didnt go chalky over time like an oil paint does, and is harder wearing than acrylic weatherboard paint, hence the recommendation.

easygoer, Feb 28, 8:50am
The best way to seal the edges is to epoxy glue timber strips on, this stops the veneers breaking off and prevents water ingress, I would then seal the surfaces with 2 coats of epoxy resin prior to painting

ebygum1, Mar 1, 11:47pm
Are you sure you have marine ply? and not treated ply.

sr2, Mar 2, 8:24am
A very experienced painter put me on to this trick some tears back.

Simple; buy a 1 or 2 litre container of PVA glue, make a mix of 25% PVA & 75% water and paint / slop it on, best pre-painting timber sealer I've ever used!

It needs a good 24 hours to dry and if the wood is a little "fluffy" a very light sand before undercoating or varnishing will give you a smooth finish.

nzdoug, May 13, 8:53pm
marine epoxy 2 pot.
One can is the "A " stain colour,
The other can "B" looks like maple syrup but more clear and get stiffer when mixed with "A" and paint quick because it tuens hard and smooth according to directions.