Kale tastes like carpet cleaner. Is this normal ?

shaz561, Jan 18, 11:27pm
I've grown kale for years now. Before it became popular. But I don't do anything special. I still have the same plants I planted last autumn and they have been doing me well. I water well and make sure I feed the garden in each new season.
So far no bitter kale. I do find if I have bitter cucumbers that I need to feed them. Perhaps the same is for kale. Buy some fert and feed. I use seaweed I wash and just leave on the surface for worms to pull down but I'm lucky I'm on the coast.
Hope this helps

jsc1, Jan 9, 10:44am
Ive grown some kale that has a real bitter taste, does this meen its better for you? Guess I will have to steam it before eating.

lilyfield, Jan 9, 12:28pm
Summer Kale? i suggest you wash it, strip off the stem, and freeze it. Only the frost brings out its unique flavour. In europe no one cuts or eats kale before the first frost. At least not where I come from.

nan99, Jan 9, 6:15pm
Recipe for Cavolo Nero (black kale) salad. Take out stem of kale and finely slice. Make a dressing of 3T olive oil, 2-3 cloves garlic (minced), pinch of fine sea salt, ground black pepper and pinch or red pepper flakes. Whisk. Pour dressing over salad and massage it well with your hands so that the kale absorbs all dressing. Add 2/3 cup of parmesan and toss (this is optional). Let kale rest for 5 mins to an hour. This can be made hours ahead or even the day before. Enjoy

mrfxit, Jan 9, 7:04pm
"Kale tastes like carpet cleaner. Is this normal ?"

LOL, I would be more concerned with how you know the difference ;-)

lythande1, Jan 9, 7:05pm
Kale is bitter. That's why - until it suddenly became trendy - it was mainly grown for winter cattle food.

Just eat things you like and skip the food fashions.
It's just another member of the brassica family anyway. tastier ones around.

-bookzone-, Jan 9, 7:13pm
This!

Cattle fodder that hipsters deemed to be 'cool', so now everyone's into it!

budgel, Jan 9, 9:16pm
Not everybody! The original post says why I too hate the stuff.

sandymrph, Jan 9, 9:32pm
The poor OP. No one in this day and age should have to put up with bitter kale tasting carpet cleaner. Try http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Homeware/Glade-Shake-N-Vac-Carpet-Cleaner-500g-Magnolia-Vanilla/5000204589436 I'm told the vanilla flavour is to die for ! Though if your more into fruit perhaps jsc1, Jan 10, 5:59am
I heard lettuce has nothing in it and is mainly decoration so I would rather eat something with some health benefits so I found this kale stuff. No wonder the catterpillars wont eat it , it probably killed them lol.

jsc1, Jan 10, 6:05am
Ive got 20 big pots in a real sunny place where the slugs don't know about. Whats the best thing to grow?

ruby2shoes, Jan 10, 8:28am
some kale is apparantely quite nice. I grew some in the garden and thought it was horrid. Even the blasted snails didn't touch the muck.

junie2, Jan 10, 8:38am
I did this tonight but forgot the parmesan. It was OK, but I think any green would be OK with that dressing. It's the first time I've grown cavolo nero. Tomorrow I'll mix it with sauteed cabbage. My greek friend cooks it Japanese-tempura style and raves about it.

rockie6, Jan 10, 8:51am
I was told last week by my nephew, who grows it in the winter, to wash the kale in salt water and bruise it like you do puha. They had dried some in the dehydrater and it was yum. They put ground up cashews and I can't remember what else, spices. I am going to find out and try it myself.

There was also some in the salad and it wasn't bitter at all, I think it's because they do the wash in salt water and bruise.

maclad, Jan 10, 8:53am
Grew ornamental, coloured kale last winter and picked off some of the younger leaves. Tossed in a bit of oil and vege salt or whatever you have and put into oven to dry for a while, till crispy, kale chips, so, so yummy. Kids loved them.

smallwoods, Jan 10, 9:34am
Whacky baccy

quillta1, Jan 10, 9:05pm
We only grew it for the cattle and they love it. Not something I would eat.

lythande1, Jan 11, 12:10am
It has some vitamins and minerals.
So if you don't like to eat lettuce, that doesn't mean you must find an alternative leaf.

If you are worried about a lack of adequate nutrients, consider strawberries, they have one of the highest number of different vitamins and minerals in them

Not that anyone in NZ actually has a nutrient deficiency really, except a few vegans perhaps.

I have made salads with any leafy ingredient at all.

bluefrog2, Jan 11, 9:40pm
I grew kale once in winter. Harvested in late winter/spring so it would go through the frosts. Still tasted blah.
Now I stick to garden grown cabbage, cauliflower and brocolli.
I think kale is like brussel sprouts. Some people never learn to like it.

dibble35, Jan 12, 12:23am
I've grown 3 sorts of Kale and the only one I would grow/eat again is the cavalo nero. Was really nice as a soup and boiled with some noodles for a quick meal

emdunc, Mar 28, 12:43pm
I found the 'bigger' kale that you buy bitter but the baby kale is yummy.