Growing mint from seed

elwood0, Jan 31, 6:12pm
I hope someone out there has grown mint from seed. I have a corner garden (separate from the other gardens) which I want to fill with mint. So I pulled all the weeds (mostly grass and oxalis) out, dug it over, let is "rest" for a couple of weeks etc and then scattered mint seeds (common mint according to the packet - yates brand) in it - covering lightly with soil and misting. A couple of weeks later loads of little green sprouts came up in the areas I had scattered the seeds and they are now a couple of inches high and the top leaves are starting to take on the "wrinkled" appearance of mint. The problem, though, is that when I crush the leaves they neither smell nor tasted like mint and I am concerned that perhaps the seeds I planted didn't "take" and this is just some weed or other. Can anyone tell me - is it possible that mint does not smell or taste like mint until it is over a certain "age" or have I just got a lot of weeds?

lythande1, Jan 31, 6:56pm
Just wait a bit. I'd say it will take a while - they're only tiny yet.

sonja2, Jan 31, 7:01pm
Lol you sound like my kind of gardener.
I know there is a weed that pops up here that looks very much like a mint leaf.
If these seeds of yours have not taken, it is generally pretty easy to grow mint from cuttings - once you have it growing, all those who know about gardening and can successfully grow things (those 'other people lol'), say it is best to grow it in containers as it will take over any space. It takes over by throwing out runners just under and along the surface, so it must follow that it will also be easy to grow by cuttings.
I must be in a chatty mood this morning, but I did see a quick bit on telly a few weeks ago - older gardners used to plant seeds in diagonal lines so they could be sure it was the planted seed, rather than some cheeky little opportunist weed that was popping up and being so tenderly watered and cared for.
Good luck with your mint - if your seeds have failed I think you could just nab some bits of mint including roots from your neighbors or friends, or even buy some of those cheap supermarket herbs, bung them in, and they should take off.

cantabman1, Jan 31, 7:18pm
What a waist of time and effort.Just get a cutting, place in water for two weeks and it will root up, then plant it out.Almost every house garden in the country has one or two varieties.

harrislucinda, Jan 31, 7:32pm
yes as above be far quicker

rainrain1, Jan 31, 7:38pm
Mint is a weed. spreads everywhere if you don't be careful, best to grow it in a bomb proof container

elwood0, Jan 31, 7:55pm
I also put a few cuttings in the garden - the reason for seeding was that (being a lazy gardener) I wanted to mint to cover the whole garden as fast as possible to prevent the oxalis and other weeds from coning back. The reason I chose mint was because of it's reputation for "taking over".
I work on the theory that if the garden is full of plants that you want - then there is no room for weeds lol

sweet_rhianna, Jan 31, 11:56pm
How about violets they are much easier to control than mint.

harrislucinda, Feb 1, 12:01am
No violets spread fast i am always pulling out

rainrain1, Feb 1, 12:30am
You are very brave to do that, best of luck after a few years down the track

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 1, 1:19am
My mint (in a pot) has lovel bursts of oxalis coming through. Came in the potting mix or compost I suspect. I tell myself it's a companion plant, - the mint doesn't seem concerned.

westigal, Feb 1, 4:15am
The property I live in now had a huge garden full of applemint, I halved the size of the garden for easier digging, sprayed the heck out of the mint to kill it, along with digging out as much as I could. Thought I was on top of the situation, Now the new lawn area is still full of applemint, but gosh does it smell nice when mowing the lawn, so have given up on trying to eradicate it there now. Still have an eternal job of pulling new growth out of the new garden. The stuff is so resilient it is growing best from under the concrete path lol. Guess some things you just learn to live with.
By the way applemint is not nice for making mint sauce with, strange flavour.

lythande1, Feb 1, 6:23pm
It won't work.
Mint grows quite tall, it's not that gre3at as a ground cover.
And nothing stops oxalis. I have thyme, oregano and yellow marjoram as ground covers in various spots. the oxalis comes through.
I wouldn't let the mint loose.

bluefrog2, Feb 1, 10:57pm
I agree with lythande. Mint is terrible as a ground cover because the stems grow to about 30-40cm tall, then you have to cut it right back to the ground or it just gets leggy and ragged. So you're forever cutting it back and all sorts of weed grow in between the woodier stems.
For a herby ground cover, you're better off with sprawling thyme.
Clover and grass will out compete oxalis. But then you end up with a lawn.

kcc55a, Feb 2, 1:53am
Great in theory like - many gardening ideas but seldom work in practice. WEEDS grow everywhere!

floralsun, Feb 2, 2:53am
I've planted mint in three areas over the past 10 years, wanting it to spread as much as it can. in all three areas, it's died, or barely grown - have planted some again in another area so it'll spread. here's hoping it will. I grow lots of other plants, trees and herbs. all grow well, would think the mint would too.

brightlights60, Feb 2, 4:23am
OMG yes. It will certainly take over and be impossible to remove!

rainrain1, Aug 3, 6:53am
Yes, been there, done that :-)