Expol underfloor insulation

karen38, May 17, 9:25pm
Has anyone put this in? is it as good as it is advertised to be?

eldubb, May 17, 9:48pm
Have worked for a guy who installs it. we did 65 houses, quite good product, as long as its installed correctly. You need a snug fit, a bit fiddly around plumbing, wires, used to take us 2-3 days to do a 90sq m house. We cut the product with a hotwire, so little mess, if you use a knife, saw it can get quite messy.

tweake, May 17, 11:19pm
at the moment i'm reading that there is quite a debate over floor insulation.
it seams there has been problems with condensation because the insulation is keeping the heat above the floor and the bottom of the joists are now cold. condensation is forming on the now cold joists causing mold and rot.

however most of it seams to be in usa, i don't know if its a problem in our climate. probably be fine for those down south where it tends to be drier. northland however might be a different ball game.

barbiedoll, May 17, 11:54pm
I put Expol under my house and am very happy with it.

carter19, May 18, 2:33am
I have just checked ours. It was installed 5 years ago. It's all as dry as a bone underneath. We have excellent ventilation as w are on a slow and he baseboards are 2.5m at one end.

tweake, May 18, 2:46am
what sort of wall is around the crawlspace?

a lot of the ones in the overseas examples all seam to be be concrete brick wall. underneath may not being warmed up during the day to drive off moisture.
there seams to be very little nz info on it.

carter19, May 18, 3:20am
We have pine baseboards so lots of gaps.

annies3, May 18, 6:50am
we have it under this house seems ok, this place is very dry, plenty of ventilation.

famrhy, May 23, 7:30am
use autex greenstuff instead. so much better

maverick67, May 23, 9:49am
We put Expol under our house (second place now) and have been really happy with it. If you have good space underneath you could do it yourself easily, we did. Comes in different widths so do your prep work before you buy and work out how much you need of each width ( often there are different gaps between the bearers especially in older homes) get the widths to fit your gaps. The shops are really good and sell them by the bag, but also individually in widths. they are like concertinas so can push/wiggle them in. You can also use tapes to staple to beams to ensure they do not come out. Make a huge difference to wooden floorboards and where there is a large cavity space under the house. Good luck

it really quick.

cantabman1, May 23, 8:46pm
I am sure that it will insulate your house very well, however if your house ever caught fire, it is extremely combustable and the toxic fumes would kill anyone in seconds.I would much prefer Batts; or its eqivelant.

ebygum1, May 23, 8:53pm
Expol is not a flamespread material,it will simply melt away,by the time the fire got to the subfloor you should be long gone,one way or another!

tweake, May 23, 9:01pm
unless the fire starts under the house!

worse thing to use is batts. you don't want to use anything that can hold moisture.

cantabman1, May 24, 9:43pm
really? Polystyren is not a flammable material. ok.
I still would not have it in my home.

ebygum1, May 24, 10:01pm
You may be confusing packaging with insulation,they are two different products.

sooby, Jan 2, 6:15pm
ebygum has it right - to meet building code requirements, Expol is made with a flame retardant additive, meaning if you try lighting it on fire it will simply melt & not add to the fire at all.