Growing butternut pumpkins in containers?

jay9p, Nov 20, 7:03am
is this possible!
We have our other veges growing in containers because we want to take them with us when we move - hoping to be in our own home early next year. Can butternuts be grown in containers! I have raised a few plants from seeds and they are in the ground now but only small - can I re-pot !

Would appreciate advice as the reason I am growing them is to have a good stock for next year when they are off season.

gardie, Nov 20, 7:07am
I haven't done this but can't see why not provided you keep them topped up with compost (they like to feed a lot) and plenty of water so that they don't dry out.You have nothing to loose.Moving them may be a mission though as they will trail no end.

jay9p, Nov 20, 8:08am
cheers for that.I think I would be able to move them carefully we would only be moving within the same city so not like inter city.how big a container would you say! I have been using the 33lt flexi tubs from warehouse really successfully so have a couple that I could use.

lythande1, Nov 11, 12:42pm
Well.we grew a pumpkin once, let it go. It went across the lawn, rooting itself again as it did so, then went up the neighbours 20' tree. Non-gardeners visiting were interested to see our "pumpkin tree".
So you may have to mutilate it in a pot to keep it manageable.

I'd wait until you move.