What sort of fire to put in?

Page 2 / 2
russ18, Dec 5, 7:02am
that's twice the price of natural gas

lindylambchops1, Dec 5, 8:22am
We installed a Pyroclassic fire too, which wasn't properly installed either, but just love the fire,,,,burns well, very clean, less ash than normal log fire, smaller logs so easier to carry.Gives out great heat.You will be thrilled with it!

toffeey, Dec 5, 8:56am
golfaholic2 - that makes my blood boil. I feel for you. I have felt so powerless with this whole clean heat warm homes garbage. The plumber has been 5 times to make adjustments. Last one included spending an entire afternoon drilling a massive hole in my chimney which they haven't been back to put a vent over. Fire does not heat room let alone house. My house is 70sqm so it's not a huge task. Last fire used to have the entire house so hot I would have to open windows. Not happy.

aredwood, Dec 5, 9:13am
I am aware of that but not relevant for the OP since they said they live in an area that doesn't have natural gas available. LPG is also good if you are using it for heating only since you can send the bottles back to the gas company over summer and not pay any fixed fees over summer.

aredwood, Dec 5, 9:38am
What was the efficiency of the gas fire! If it was a flame effect fire then it will be inefficient since it is not intended to be used for heating.

These "flame effect" gas fires are a pet hate of mine. I am a Gasfitter and I would like to see them banned or at least mandatory efficiency labeling required. Whenever a customer asks about installing one I always try to steer them to the highly efficient models. Unless they already have another means of efficient heating installed.

meoldchina, Dec 5, 9:48am
Would you like to recommend some of the "highly efficient models"! I am looking at buying a "hole-in-the-wall" gas fire, possibly Rinnai or Faber, and would welcome your opinion and recommendations.

russ18, Dec 4, 12:12pm
We are talking about heating aren't we!

I pay around 7 cents per kwh for natural gas
heat pump also around 7 to 8 cents per kwh

LPG is twice the price.