Beans Help Please

jude2, Feb 24, 2:09am
my Beans have grown like Jack in the beanstalk so I have lots of large green beans that are not very nice very stringy, they have a purple speckled bean inside can this beeaten ?

5425, Feb 24, 3:10am
over ripe.

lynken37, Feb 24, 3:48am
Sound like Scarlet runners, they need to be picked regularly, before they go stringy. They are very prolific.

5425, Feb 24, 8:02am
as in twice a day by size, ,,be a fair statement.?

cantabman1, Feb 24, 1:59pm
Just leave the big ones that you miss to grow even bigger and dry out.These will be your seeds for next years crop.

stefanie, Feb 24, 8:48pm
Hi, yes you can eat the inside beans/seeds, but I don't think it's going to be worth your efforts. I also hate it when I miss the picking stage, but I am still learning. I pick scarlet runners well before they need to be and I find them even more prolific then last year.
I keep seeds from vegetables for next year as well. but found it not necessary for the beans (they grew without me wanting them-there)

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 24, 9:54pm
You can dry the bean seeds and add to winter soups and stews, very edible if long slow cooked. But best to pick beans very young and daily if you don't want the seeds for storage. Btw, I gave up scarlet runners for the white flowered form, and find them much better. No second year though, they need replanting each season. Superb croppers!

oh_hunnihunni, May 26, 7:26pm
I pick as I water.