Tomato growing - help please!

gerkin30, Apr 23, 11:56pm
I am not a very experienced gardener, so hoping someone with some knowledge will be able to help me.I have several tomato plants (honeybee!) they are small, anyway.They are covered in green tomatoes.Will these tomatoes ripen now, in Southland, or not!If not, what should I do!They are growing in the garden under the eaves of the house, so some shelter from frosts, but it is still getting cold at night.Advice appreciated!Thanks!

gardenroom, Apr 24, 1:33am
Sun light levels getting low now so doubt they will ripen on the plant.
Take all fruit off and lay in a single layer on a plate or tray on a sunny windowsill, they should ripen in a few days. Some people place a ripe banana by them to speed up the process.( bananas emit a gas that ripens tomatos.

stevee6, Apr 24, 1:36am
Agree - they're not going to last much longer so pick while the fruit is unfrosted.

gerkin30, Apr 24, 1:50am
So even the tiny ones will ripen!Thanks, I shall do that when the rain stops.

lythande1, Apr 24, 3:12am
Never.
Southland has a short growing season and unless they were in early, they'll never get there. It's why everyone has a glasshouse down there - even the short season is tricky - late spring frosts and they're doomed, early autumn frosts.you get the idea.

You could try picking them and leave them in a bowl with a banana, to help ripen them. If they're close to ripening it works, but not if they're way off.

arielbooks, Apr 24, 4:38am
Or you could make green tomato relish. Yum

anne1955, Apr 24, 4:54am
I'm with areilbooks just been looking for a chutney or relish recipe sadly I have dozen left on my plants as well so it will be pickle of some sort, I'll check on TM cooking board first :)

anne1955, Apr 24, 5:41am
Just played on Google for recipes as there wan't many here even going back a year.They say to wripen green tom's wrap in newspaper and put in a cardboard box in a dark place check daily and the will ripen.And dozen say about putting a banana with them hate smell of banana's so will give some a try in the box with neswpaper.I have so many won't worry me if some don't ripen.And Jamie Oliver has a green tom soup sadly it's no a bottled on so it you like that idea google it same with fried green tom's I want mine to do me over the winter when all we can get is the yuck AU ones with no taste.Also Jamie said for lighter sauce/chutney use raw sugar and white vinegar.

aloha3, Apr 24, 6:24am
There is a stage tomatoes will ripen as they are mature but green. The skin looks tight and have a brighter looking skin. The "dull green" tomatoes are not mature and will not ripen. Guess you will make green tomatoes chutney. Lots of people like eating green tomatoes.

babyluthi, May 14, 12:07pm
Don't put them on a window sill in the sun.Tomatoes ripen from the inside out.A bowl on your counter top will do it provided it is not too cold there.