Rats eating my corn.

alphagorpat, Mar 13, 6:35am
I grew a really good crop of Golden Bantam corn and was real proud of it until I noticed the corn was gradually disappearing - then found rats were stripping it out.Unfortunately our rat-hating cat is 16 years old & generally sleeps inside at night. We are rural.Put out a rat bait station but not sure if it has slowed them down or not. The poision said not to tie the bait directly to the stalks, but I'm getting desperate.Any other ideas!Thanks.

favouriteseller, Mar 13, 8:05am
get some traps and put in atrapper Box
or make your own stations with traps in them
instant kill rather than waiting for poison to work plus rats store excess sachets away in their nestsetc, and if other food around may not eat enough poison
search properly and you will find the right place to buy

rdeans, Mar 13, 8:41am
We have found the Pukeko's eating ours very cunning they just strip of the skin and eat all the kernals.-
. Good Luck with getting rid of your rats!

roopydoop, Mar 13, 7:24pm
It is most likely to be Norway rats eating your corn the info in this link may help you instead of resorting to tying baits to the corn.

http://www.liphatech.com/Documents/US/Literature/BurrowBaiting_TB.pdf If you have a look at all the info under "technical bulletins" at the bottom of this link
http://www.liphatech.com/literaturePestManagementUS.html

It will give you a lot more info as it won't be easy to deal with them when they have such a ready food source and you may find you have quite an infestation.

thedoth, Mar 17, 7:26am
Get some Talon rat bait pellets. Loike blue eggs. Put them out and theyll take them back to their nest and eat them. No more rats.

rsr72, Mar 17, 6:57pm
#1- Poor things, it's the lack of food because of lack of rain and drought affecting all animals and birds.
We even have tuis eating our apples on the tree which has never happened before, and a rat eating the lemons.

wayne472, Mar 17, 10:41pm
Here is A good idea try this ----

4 boneless skinless rat breast halves
Corn off one cob
4 teaspoons flour
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 cup rat broth
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon butter

Directions: -----

Flatten the rats slightly. Dust with flour. Salt and pepper the rats.

Fry in hot oil 5 minutes each side. Remove rats from pan.

To pan add broth, garlic, lemon juice,corn and butter. Cook 2 minutes. Pour over rats.

Enjoy!

bugin, Mar 18, 4:20am
Why don't you stake it out and shoot them!

leonie11, Apr 23, 8:14pm
yep we got the pukekos doing it over this way too!