Pumpkins and Corn

studentkyle, Jan 25, 4:35am
Its North Canterbury and the end of January.the sun is shining the pumpkin/corn patch is full and I'm thinking.

If my pumpkin plant has not set fruit at this stage.will it! eg. do i just keep letting it grow!
I cant see any female bits on my corn.but the top has male bits.what are the chances it will set at this point!

Basically do i pull and throw in more broccoli and cabbage! or leave!

pugswal, Jan 26, 4:23am
Just hang fire! Our corn got the top tassle then the corn started forming. Doing fine; plenty of water and patience. Sorry I don't know about pumpkins.

harrislucinda, Jan 26, 7:49am
remembertoshakethedustdownon thetasslestofertilizethe corn
andifthefemalepumpkinisopengetthe pollenfrom themaleanddustitontostart thepumpkinggrowing

studentkyle, Jan 26, 8:05am
I know the techniques.just unsure if they will have time to mature.

minn1, Jan 26, 2:26pm
I have been wondering and noticing exactly the same thing OP.male flowers everywhere and only a couple of female ones ! Is this normal! I'v not known to look out for that-or which was which-till now and so went out all armed and ready to help nature out since the bees were obviously busy elsewhere.and,only males. Weird.Or not! Will it all come right,or are the 2 pumpkins on the big healthy vine, all I'm going to get!

mark_g, Jan 27, 7:41am
I've got males only in my pumpkin patch at the moment too. This is the way it has always been here. First the males only come. Then a week or so later the females, another week after that the happy coincedence of both male and female flowers, this is when my first pumpkins set. After that, which is where we are now, males only again. I think I'm due some more females soon and maybe a few more pumpkin will set, we'll see.

Apparently, if you pinch out the growing tips to encourage more lateral growth, this brings with it more female glowers. In years past I have only pinched out growing tips when the vine got more than 3m long and was going where I didn't want it. This year I have pinched out the tips a bit sooner to see what happens.

aimee13, Jan 27, 7:43am
OOh so far I have 13 pumpkins growing. I planted 5 plants so not a bad start as i i think i only got 8 pumpkins last year :)

matthews4, Jan 27, 7:49am
I have one plant with lots of pumpkins on - one is over a foot across, already.I have cut the ends off, as came up from compost in my Square foot garden area, so limiting its spread.glad I left it, it is doing so well.always have more success with self set ones, from compost, than ones I plant myself.

matthews4, Jan 27, 7:51am
As far as corn goes, when I water them, which is verynight at present, it is so dry, I spray the hose over the tassels, to encourage them to drop.Can't get close to it - the triffid pumpkin is in the road!.tomatoes are colouring up well - havea a few in the kitchen to finish ripening, so the plants can go on maturing others.Beans are very prolific - giving most to our stock, this week, as they love them.too many for us.

studentkyle, Feb 11, 10:52am
awesome matthews4.sounds like my patch.we planted a block of 4x8 corn at the back of our pumpkin patch.then 5 pumpkins 3 courgettes and a cucumber in the pumpkin patch.next year we are going to keep the courgettes seperate.its a struggle to get to them all. as we spread them between the pumpkins. I have one pumpkin with 4 decent pumpkins. 2 others with 1 a piece (could be the same plant its hard to tell now) and a scattering of female flowers.but they are all hidden under the growth now.
Thanks to everyone.i think i will wait it out for now.