Garden shed.any tips on consent please

Page 1 / 2
chi-chi, Nov 11, 7:47am
we are wanting to buy one of those kit set sheds for our back court yard. about 3.45m X 2m. It will be up against the boundary wall. Do we need to get neighbours or council consent!

rodeoraz, Nov 11, 7:52am
What is the height of the shed. From what I've read on the dbh website, this is the distance it must be from any boundary. So if it's 2m tall, it must be 2m away from any boundary. Bit of a pain really if you're wanting to tuck it away in a corner. Or next to an existing fence which is even taller!

pettal, Nov 11, 8:00am
Is any one going to really care about a garden shed ,, just do it .

chi-chi, Nov 11, 8:05am
it will be about 2m tall so that's a real problemcause there's no space to still leave 2m. and we want to do exactly that.tuck it away against the boundary wall.Our property is lower than the neighbour so they would hardly seeit. maybe we should just mention it to them in any case.

rodeoraz, Nov 11, 8:12am
Well if its any consolation the neighbours two doors down from us just built a very big shed right on the boundary.
I would imagine this is one of those building rules that is often broken! I imagine most people wouldn't even think there were rules around a garden shed. Just use your common sense maybe (this coming from a strict rule follower. I guess I'm learning the realities of that ha ha)

chi-chi, Nov 11, 8:25am
thank you, we'll do that.mention it and just carry on. it won't be an eyesore for anyone and we need the extra space!

solarboy, Nov 11, 10:14am
You normally don't need a consent for a garden shed of up to 10 square metres so yours at under 7 will be fine.Carports up to 20 square metres don't need a consent either, around here at least.

tillsbury, Nov 11, 12:14pm
You will need resource consent though, if its going to be closer than its height to the boundary.You will get away with it, but will bleat when you eventually want to sell and the sale falls through for consenting issues.Also remember to be extra nice to any neighbours in case they shop you, which will be expensive.

mokaumoi, Nov 11, 1:13pm
Just do it.

galex, Nov 11, 2:53pm
jeez negative aren't ya. you really think someone wouldn't buy a house becos of an easliy removable shed!You'd probably moan if you won lotto.

snoopy221, Nov 11, 3:00pm
one of those kit set sheds

Moveable

Removes it from B.S. regs.
K

chi-chi, Nov 11, 4:49pm
we have always been nice to our neighbours! isn't that how it's supposed to be!

sooby, Nov 11, 6:39pm
I just lodged a building permit for new home with a garden shed close to the boundary in Christchurch & it was questioned because of the 'fire risk' it carries being that close to the boundary.

They gave us two options: move it away from boundary (so it is at least the sheds height away from the boundary) or remove it from the permit application all together.

We removed it from the permit, although I guess there would be nothing stopping the owners putting it up once the house is completed & the council inspections are finished.

carter19, Nov 11, 6:45pm
Part of the issue is becasue of shadowing. As you are lower than them it wont apply. I'd have a chat and put it there if they are happy.

luteba, Nov 11, 8:27pm
Check your local district plan, as different regions (and even cities within regions, and areas within cities) all have different rules.

budgel, Nov 11, 8:49pm
Re the proximity of the shed to the boundary, if you measure 1.8m vertically up from the boundary and then inward to your site and upwards at an angle of 45 degrees, your shed should fit inside that envelope to avoid shading of your neighbours.

In practice, just put the shed there and handle any consequences if there are any,there probably wont be.

tillsbury, Nov 11, 9:30pm
Yup, house across the road fell through twice for it recently.Think about it, the sort of people who put up a shed without worrying about the rules probably don't think they need a plumber to install a bathroom or a sparky to rewire the house.People stay well clear or adjust the price to be certain.And good luck with repairing that drain that's now under he shed's slab.

mltg, Nov 12, 8:03pm
If the one your wanting is a tin shed, you don't need a council consent because they are light enough to be picked up and moved and don't need a solid foundation. Everyone has them sitting next to fences around me, with a very small gap between fence and shed. Put paving squares inside as base or just sit it on the grass.

bergkamp, Nov 13, 3:32am
dont listen to these clowns telling you to get a consent ,its totally OTT

do put it up agst the boundary but dont sit it on a new slab

do find some way of holding it down

gabbysnana, Nov 13, 3:46am
its a garden shed, dont over complicate things

imn, Nov 13, 4:07am
We replaced a garden shed out the back corner a couple of years ago. there was already one there but it was falling apart and derelict.Never even thought about getting permission. Just told the neighbours to replace the fence they broke and never bothered to replace (tenants *rolleyes). Told them once the old shed was down my dog would be able to escape if it wasnt replaced and Id charge them the vet bills etc if she was hurt. Hard against (well not touching) the corner fence. So is the neighbours. I doubt you need any consent.

christin, Nov 13, 8:19am
i have one up against my fenceline.nowhere else really to put it as lawn long and skinny and would have to go in the middle of that!(and barely fit!).

nearest housesin the sections are about 50m away in the case of one and probably 30-40m away in the other.And both of them have sheds up their boundarys (different ones) so they wont be complaiing im guessing lol.

most people i know put sheds up against fenclines and less than the 2ms or whatever it has to be way from them.

fordkiwi27, Nov 13, 8:56am
far out . just do it ffs!

kcc55a, Nov 13, 9:56am
Rubbish, how could you know that is the real reason and who said anything about a slab! Talk about pedantic. Just do it - the shed i mean.

christin, Nov 13, 4:57pm
rewiring the house and doing plumbing is a lot different than puttin gup a shed.I wouldnt touch any oif those things, but would do the shed happily. and NOT on top of my drain as i know exactly where my pipes etc are.