Building Plan Software - any recommendations?

jimliz1, Jan 24, 8:02am
I'd like to get some reasonable plan drawing software so that I can get stuck in and draw up plans for council without doing it the old fashioned way (pencil and paper)

There seems to be 2 types of product:

1 Cheap as software (say $20-$100 cost) which is crap and not really suitable.

2 Top End CAD design software that will cost around $1100 - $2500 and includes a whole lot of engineering crap that I don't really need.

Does anyone know of decent reliable software that I can use to build something as per the building code (NZ 3604) that perhaps costs somewhere in the region of $200-400

Cheers in advance

easygoer, Jan 24, 8:18am
I have one called Broderbund Home Architect 3D which from memory cost around $200.00, you draw out walls in plan view then add doors, windows etc, add furniture and kitchen cabinets etc and then look at the end results in 3D

ashpot, Jan 24, 8:44am
Try TurboCad Deluxe version.

You do realise you need a LBP or be a registered architect to design house plans.

jimliz1, Jan 24, 8:51am
Yes I do cheers

tezw1, Jan 24, 5:33pm
I used to use Chief Architect, which is around the $2500 mark. However they do make a Home Designer:DIYversion at a lot less. Not sure if it would suit your needs, but they used to allow you to download a demo version so you can try before you buy. Check their website www.chiefarchitect.com
I tried several cheap CAD programs before buying Chief. Biggest problem back then was finding a program that you could lay out walls and resize accurately. I started doing contract draughting work and Cheif paid for itself quite quickly.There is a steep learning curve with CAD, your first plan is going to take a while. When I was drawing fulltime, once I had things setup, I could turn around a set of working drawings for a single level brick house in a day.

knowsley, Jan 24, 5:48pm
I use AutoCAD Revit, which is specifically for building. Great program, a reasonable learning curve. You can download a trial from the AutoCAD site. Once you have the plan drawn, it will allow you to do section views at any point, elevations and 3D views. I use it for my drawings for Council.

rak1, Jan 27, 8:15am

blans, Feb 12, 4:49pm
Chief Architect home designer suite. less than $ 200 from memory.
I used it to do plans for bathroom remodel,The council was pretty happy with what i produced. You can add your furniture and fittings and see how things are going to fit.View in 3D and walk thru. Brilliant