Poaching neighbours roses

Page 1 / 2
dophy1, Nov 13, 7:07am
now dont get the wrong idea Im not going to steal the neighbours whole plant or anything. But my neighbours have some lovely roses that have grown over to our side of the fence. Just wondering (as I know nothing about roses) could I snip a bit of the end without killing their plant and could I replant the clipping.

gardie, Nov 13, 7:37am
Yes!take a cutting with new shoots on it but not a flower.I also like to have a more established bit - not a brand new shoot.Dip the cut end into rooting compound and then into a pot filled with potting mix and pop it under a hedge or somewhere cool making sure it doesn't dry out.I usually don't plant them out for around 12 months to give the roots time to really get going.

glenleigh, Nov 13, 7:41am
Just ask your neighbour, she would no doubt be glad to give you some cuttings and may be able to help you with the propagation of them.

dophy1, Nov 13, 8:26am
They are quite grumpy haha

bugin, Nov 13, 9:30am
Poaching is not recommended .They are better dipped in egg and seasoned breadcrumbs and deep fried.

kcc55a, Nov 13, 9:52am
Gonna be grumpier if you steal their flowers

captaingraham, Nov 13, 10:12am
Just do it. They'll never know.

glenleigh, Nov 13, 6:49pm
At least not until they see them flowering in the garden next door.

stevee6, Nov 13, 7:44pm
Go for it - as they're on your side of the fence you're not actually poaching, just pruning.

mkbooks, Nov 13, 8:01pm
Won't be very successful with trying to propogate new shoots-take a flower down to you nearest garden centre + get it identified, then check the rose growers to see who has it.Probably won't be available until next year now

wheelz, Nov 13, 9:52pm
Propagation is from last seasons wood and done in August.

holly-rocks, Nov 13, 9:57pm
OP ~ If they are on your side of the fence, legally you do not have to ask permission. Feel free to take them! ( especially if they are grumpy)

wheelz, Nov 13, 10:05pm
No point taking them if the pieces are new growth !

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 13, 10:42pm
Really! I regularly plonk cuttings from roses down the side of my cutting pot and have great success with them. No hormones, no fussing, just an angled cut from as mature wood as possible - though not always non flowering, and not always last season, cropping any leaves to half, and sliding it into old sandy potting mix hard up against the pot side, Then I forget them for a few months. I'm always pleasantly surprised by the number of successes.

Beats paying forty dollars for a grafted plant.

floweringrose, Nov 13, 11:25pm
best time for cuttings is middle of winter

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 13, 11:48pm
I'm sure you are right, but my experience tells me it's always worth a try, in spite of all the 'rules' lol. Besides which, it's hard to tell if a rose is lovely enough to lust after in mid winter, without flowers.

nitronz, Nov 14, 12:24am
yep my mother was the same.didnt matter what time of the year etc.sheeventually had about 300 roses in the back yard alone, she also used to buy unusual or hard to get ones.and every time roses were pruned or tidied up.every bit got stuck into the ground.lol

crackerjack19, Nov 14, 2:04am
Steevie6 is absolutely correct if ANY plant or tree grows across your boundary with a neighbour that part of the plant/tree is yours to prune as long as you do that only on your side of the boundary. To stop 'die-back' cut off to a bud and then use a pruning paste/paint to seal the cut end. Established rose's are a lot tougher than most people think. The cuttings need to be about 300mm long and plant about about 100 into the potting mix. Do not allow them to dry out and not put in full sun. Good Luck.

mothergoose_nz, Nov 14, 2:50am
had a friend who sold her rose cuttings for $5 each. someone bought $200 worth. she only made that one sale i think. she expected me to pay $5 if i wanted a cutting.was happy to accept cuting from me though for free.no way to grow a friendship garden

holly-rocks, Nov 14, 4:54am
Wow I bet her garden is AMAZING ! (:

kiwilion, Nov 14, 10:55pm
Oh dear, surely a 'cutting swap' between you would have been a better idea, and fairer.

lythande1, Nov 15, 2:24am
Well the law isyou can trim anything hanging over your side, but you must return it to them.

Why not just ask them!

mizpizzy, Nov 15, 7:33am
Most roses are pretty hardy.As long as it has a couple of shooting nodes on it then I poke it into the ground where it will get a bit of watering (edge of DH's vegie patch usually) and by autumn it is fine to move to where I want it.They won't miss a snippet or two and anyway you are allowed to clip anything that hangs over your side of the fence - go for it!

mizpizzy, Nov 15, 7:35am
Return it ot them.Not heard of that - where does that come from!Just curious.

rsr72, Nov 15, 7:53am
Nah, no-one bothers these days.
What you cut off, you get rid of.