Is it ok to prune roses this week?

su2005, Aug 14, 7:23am
or better to wait until spring?

macandrosie, Aug 14, 8:36am
July is the best time to prune as it is considered the dead month in the gardening calendar when nothing grows. So get into it because once the temperature starts to climb you'll begin to get new seasons growth & you don't want to be pruning that off!

val182, Aug 15, 5:05am
Yes go for it. Allow 90 days from prune to bloom. Some people leave it until later. If you are down South it may pay to leave it a while as the new growth can get nipped with frost. You can then get blind shoots which are ones that don't have a bud forming. You will then have to snip them back to a lower bud. Good luck. They are the best value for money as you get repeat flowering especially if you cut the spent blooms off.

rainrain1, Aug 15, 6:05am
August. yes!

brightlights60, Aug 15, 10:49am
Most of my gardening friends here in Christchurch priune in July, I leave till August and have done it as late as September. Regardless, you can do another prune at the beginning of the growing season, I do if I get an aphid infestation as I prefer that to over spraying. I never spray with anything, except maybe Shield if I get a bad lot of aphids that just won't go away. I have grown them for 30 years, have around 30 and they are absolutely stunning if I say so myself. I feed with a bit of rose food, and have put coconut fibre around the bases to help retain moisture over summer as they are in a very sunny, sheltered, north facing garden. They get fresh home made compost every year as well. Roses are very, very hardy, plus they give so much, first and last to flower in the garden and very resilient.

j96, Oct 24, 11:03pm
Phew, i did mine a couple of weeks ago