Spraying Roses

donna_marie, Aug 9, 12:29am
I read or was told awhile ago that you can mix copper and oil together when you spray your roses in winter. I was just wondering if this is true and do you mix them at the same rate as you would if you were spraying them individually.
Thanks

jphs, Aug 9, 12:53am
Yes it is ok to do that.
Yes use the same dilution as stated on the bottle of spray.
Remember if you are using the blue powder copper spray you do need to continually mix your sprayer to keep the copper in suspension.
With a spraying oil you won't need to use a spray-fix as the oil will make the copper stick.
Make sure you do under the branches as well as there are usually scale and eggs hidden in the underside nooks and crannies. That is why I usually go round and prise off big loose bits of bark that may be waiting to fall off. That is the ideal hidey-hole for overwintering bugs.

donna_marie, Aug 9, 2:04am
Thank you jphs for the information.

grassman, Aug 9, 2:20am
Wash the sprayer out once you have finished with cold water or Cooper powder will set inside spray wand.

brightlights60, Nov 1, 7:02am
I have grown roses for 30 years and never had to spray with anything over Winter. I did a Horticultural Diploma last year over 18 months, and it was interesting that nowadays we are taught to not spray "in case of" bugs or diseases but only if the plant develops anything. When I look at all my gardening books, a lot advocate a "spraying programme" but I learned the opposite. Apparently a lot of pests and diseases are becoming resilient to sprays, as the main formula for a lot of the sprays has not changed much in the last 20-30 years. A bit like penicillan and bugs.