Gas cooktop problems. who do i call?

christin, Dec 17, 6:36am
I have a gas cooktop on a small lpg bottle.The gas has stopped coming through.I think it is more an issue with the gas connection than the cooktop.

Who do i call! a gas fitter! or an appliance person.It may be something simple as a regulator or something like that, but the gas seems to stop coming through to the cooktop. doesnt make that hissing sound.Seems to come and go, but at the moment isnt working at all.

Thanks!

aredwood, Dec 17, 7:34am
Call a Gasfitter.

christin, Dec 17, 7:59am
thanks. have emailed one.wasnt sure if they were mostly for mains gas etc, rather than piddly little bottles.thanks

kaddiew, Dec 17, 10:02am
I have the same set up, and the gas started coming through intermittently for a while before the bottle was empty. Silly question maybe, but when did you last replace the bottle!

christin, Dec 17, 5:04pm
ive tried a spare bottle on it too. same thing.i have a bottle from a bbq / gas heater so i dont think its that.

pezarointeriors, Dec 17, 11:27pm
Sometimes the gas jets get clogged up with food or cleaning products.If you take the pan supports off you should be able to see what look like little brass screws.These are the jets.In these is a tiny hole for gas flow.You could try 'puffing' air onto them as this can sometimes clear them.

linmard, Dec 17, 11:35pm
Have you just clean the cook top if so take the pieces off again and put them back on sometimes if they are not quiet lined up the flame will be kind of spitty.

beebs, Dec 18, 12:31am
change of subject, we are looking at doing this (gas bottle with cooker) how does it work for you!Does the bottle last a while!

reggienz, Dec 18, 12:38am
We have a gas hob. We get around 4 to 5 months out of a 9 Kg bottle. Beats electric hands down.
As for the problem with the intermittent gas supply. See if the connections are leaking by brushing soapy water on them and it you see bubbles then you might have found your answer. Tighten the fittings. If you have a faulty regulator then try a plumber. A lot of them do gas work.

reggienz, Dec 18, 12:40am
Don't forget, The fitting onto the bottle has a left hand thread.

geovinny, Dec 18, 12:40am
By the time you call a professional out - what's the cost of a new or second-hand one!

christin, Dec 18, 1:14am
I dont think its this as its ALL elements at the same time. If one works, then they all work.If it doesnt work, they ALL dont work so dont think it comes down to individual elements.

christin, Dec 18, 1:17am
New second hand what though!i cant get the regulator off myself, and i may end up buying that and its not that - wasting $50 or whatever a regulator costs.Its not a screw on one or anything.

I could probably force it off and try it, but its gas, i dont want to muck it up and have it not sealed properly etc.

I think i have tried everything I can.I know in the past wiggling the hose has helped, but yep, tried most things to a) avoid payigjn for someone to come out and b) to get it going before xmas where I have to cook for more than just the two of us so would be good to have it going!:-)

christin, Dec 18, 1:18am
cant even get a flame, let alone a spitty one.I know straight away if its not getting through as its a hissing sound before you light it.when its failing i dont even get that.

christin, Dec 18, 1:38am
we have a 4.5 i think kg one.only two of us, but we do lots of stir fries etc.lasts about four months at a guess.

heaps better than electric, which i now hate as im doing it on a hot plate if needed till this is fixed.takes FOREVER on that!

kaddiew, Dec 18, 1:51am
My previous 9kg gas bottle lasted 11 months, cost $36 for refill/swap.Cooking for one, but hob used every day.

supernova2, Dec 18, 9:51am
Can't resist - call "Gas Busters".

Sounds like you have a faulty regulator or hose.As its in your house I think you have to have it looked at by a gas fitter.Otherwise you may void your insurance and as you say its "GAS"which can equal "FIRE".

christin, Dec 18, 8:55pm
exactly.i dont really want to muck around with gas myself, for insurance reasons and safety reasons.

I emailed a gas place two days ago (in my suburb) and no reply so will try somewhere else.I think its the regulator or hose too as i dont think its my cooktop (or at least i hope not as not planning on replacing that till i do my kitchen!) :-)

christin, Dec 19, 10:28am
i emailed three more this morning to try and get someone around to look at it.cant really ring as at work so thought id email all their links.no reply as of yet from anyone!maybe they dont want the job. annoying though as would like it done before xmas.Will hopefuly get a chance to ring around tomorrow :-(

mm12345, Dec 19, 11:00am
Yep.We cook for 4, and also use a stove-top kettle.Get about 3-4 months per 9kg bottle, but I only pay $24.90 for a fill.
You can get larger bottles, but there are some potential gotchas with regards to tighter regulations for installing these, distance from doors/windows/drains and sub-floor vents might be an issue, so 9kg bottles might be the cheapest to have installed (the cylinders themselves are also dirt cheap).

christin, Dec 21, 1:10am
yaaaayyyy i have gas!after no replying to email during the week i rang lots and lots of people this morning to find all busy. one guy said to ring him back in the afternoon to see if he was free.Hes just been around and fixed it.Awesome!Was a faulty regulator so have put the one from my gas heater on.

Yay i can cook properly!

guest, Oct 9, 2:19pm
The gas control valve has the rulegator built in.Read the manual anyway to make sure.Those vent less heaters are not safe.It's still surprising they are to be legalized this year.I guess it's going to take some asphyxiations to outlaw them again.They have been outlawed for 40 years.Me and other plumbers in my area aren't installing them.No amount of liability insurance can bring a life back.

guest, May 27, 7:17pm
Much depends on where you live and the merkat rates for electricity, propane, and natural gas. Where I live, heating is the least expensive with natural gas, followed by propane, and electric at the top of the list. The differences in cost are not so great as they formerly were, since the cost of electricity has remained relatively constant, while natural gas and propane have each increased substantially.We operate our home on mostly natural gas, including furnace, water heater, clothing dryer and cooking appliances. This year, we expect to spend over $1200 through the winter for gas supplies. It's a newer home, and insulated as well as it can possibly be.