Newbie veg planting advice please

socram, Nov 13, 7:35am
This may sound really, really dumb so please bear with me. I have adapted a couple of old wooden pallets as wall mounted veggie gardens.

Amongst other things, I bought 2 six pack seedlings of spring onions. Reading the attached instructions didn't help, so I just planted the small clumps straight into the container mix. Should I have split the clumps into separate onions, which in hindsight seems fairly logical and if so, after three weeks, is it now too late to split them?

Secondly - and probably equally dumb, do you stake mange tout/snow peas or not? Again, nothing in the instructions whereas the runner beans stated they did need staking - and they are going gangbusters in a raised corner garden.

summersunnz, Nov 13, 11:34am
Hi. good for you for asking questions. ask anything here. there'll always be someone who can help. :-)

Yes, separate the spring onions - you can still do that, and have them 5 cm's or more apart, which gives them room to grow, and when you pull one out to use it, you won't disturb the roots for the others.
I saw a hint recently that instead of pulling them out to use, cut them off just above ground level, and they'll keep growing. Scissors would probably work easier than a knife to cut them off.

Some peas need staking and others of a dwarf variety don't. what is on the label or packet? If growing them in a wall mounted garden, the kind that need staking would hang downwards, so that would work - and would look great too.

Oh, it's a gardening rule here - maybe at your home too - the peas are the treat for the person who does the gardening, to eat while weeding and planting and watering. so they're yours!

Enjoy growing your veges. :-)

lythande1, Nov 13, 6:31pm
Yes, separate them, carefully, so you don't damage the roots.

Yes stake them, even dwarf peas which should be short tend to grow more than you think and it's a lot easier than having them tangle and fall over.

cantabman1, Nov 13, 7:15pm
All above advice great. Good luck in your gardening ventures, a very rewarding hobby.

jonners2013, Nov 13, 7:16pm
spring onions are insanely tough. chances are they will be just fine as they are, but if you separate them you will get a larger crop with more plants.

when they're ready, don't pull the plants out, just cut off the green parts that you want to use and they will regrow. they just keep regenerating.

paora-tm, Nov 13, 8:07pm
https://www.facebook.com/groups/nzvege/ Excellent facebook group for veggie gardeners.

socram, Nov 13, 8:48pm
Thanks so much. I'll split the onions today. The peas have been put in the lowest section of one of the wall hung pallets, so have room to grow downwards anyway.

Good tip about snipping the spring onions though. I have planted red and white varieties.

I can highly recommend the pallets though, as they take up so little space and I'm assuming that what I have planted won't require too much depth - again, something else the instructions are very light on.

Oddly enough, normal garden peas have never been a favourite vegetable as I far prefer genuine mushy peas! However, using snow peas in a Thai chicken curry for example is essential.

summersunnz, Jul 31, 3:53am
Thanks for the link.