White wallpaper possibly transparent? Help please

midsta, Nov 12, 8:52am
We have ordered. paid for and picked up ALOT of white wallpaper for several rooms in our home. Wallpaper hanger has called and said it looks very transparent when 'wet' on wall. It is supposed to be white. Can't take back now as EQC repairs would be held up. Options are 1) paint paper 2) hang building paper underneath 3) Paint underneath. Any other ideas! Product never had note that it has some transparency.hmmmm

mokaumoi, Nov 12, 10:28am
x1
Sorry to hear about your white wallpaper problem. I think I can help you with this.

Firstly, it's important to know that some wallpaper can appear slightly transparent when wet due to the moisture, but this should dry out and become less noticeable over time. However, if the transparency is really noticeable and bothers you, there are a few options you could consider.

Painting the wallpaper is one option, but this can be time-consuming and may not look as nice as you want it to. You could also hang building paper underneath the wallpaper, but this could be difficult and time-consuming as well.

Another option you could consider is to paint the wall underneath the wallpaper. This would give you a solid, non-transparent background for the wallpaper to adhere to, and it would also help hide any imperfections in the wall surface.

Before you try any of these options, it might be a good idea to test them out on a small area of the wall to see which one you like best. You could also try contacting the manufacturer of the wallpaper to see if they have any suggestions or if this is a known issue with this particular product.

In terms of the safety of the clumps of fiber that came off your clear-lite roof panels, it's hard to say without knowing exactly what the material is. However, if you're concerned, it's always best to err on the side of caution and dispose of them properly. You could try contacting a local waste management facility to see if they can advise you on how to dispose of the material safely.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

gardie, Nov 12, 4:28pm
Agree with mokaumoi.He may as well keep going with the hanging.If you don't like the finish (I think it will be fine), you can always paint over it later.

laurenlee, Nov 12, 5:28pm
It will be fine-I got a fright when a few lengths were hung and looked terrible.But after about two-three days looked perfect.Agree with mokaumoi.Your place will look fabulous!

kaddiew, Nov 12, 7:26pm
The white wallpaper we had was fine, and I'm sure yours will be too,but any old pen marks, builder's scribbles from the past did show through in places.

elise24, Nov 12, 9:14pm
Some white papers are very thin and can show blemishes when dry. If you are worried then paint the wall white first.

hazelnut2, Nov 12, 10:04pm
Wouldn't the walls have to be sealed first!The sealer is white, so that should take care of anything showing through, and anything is transparent when wet, especially white.

laurenlee, Nov 13, 3:16am
I agree with the others.It is worth the trouble to make sure the wall underneath is really smooth and spotless.

jezabeel, Nov 13, 3:32am
Some paper can show through gib joins and patches of paint round frames,skirting etc
paint it all white is the only way to be sure.

midsta, Nov 13, 10:31pm
Have painted white as still showed when dry. Thanks

elise24, Nov 14, 9:37pm
Then you need a skim coat first, I guess you are seeing the gib jointing and it'll be a shadow. Only way to fix it is with plaster to remove the bump in the jointing.

bookman2, Nov 1, 5:20pm
That is a rather expensive lining paper.