New fire wont turn down

datoofairy, Feb 6, 4:05am
We have a brand new Woodsman log burner that doesnt turn down due it complying with the Clean Air rules.
I get that its like that for a reason, but I think this fire goes too far.
The lever to adjust the vent will only slide to half way closed and even at that point the fire just roars away and chews through the woods at an alarming rate. There is almost no difference to having the lever open on full or at the halfway point.It gets so hot in here so fast that it becomes unbearable, even for a heat-lover like me.
I have tried taking the front panel off and removing the bolt that stops the lever going across but it didnt help as the 2 plates that move across each other have big holes that line up to stay open even when the lever is right at the 'closed' end.
Inside the fire there is a metal bar across the back that has holes drilled along it, I assume they are more vents.
Is there anything I can do to make it so the fire will shut down more! I dont expect it to stay banked down over night, I just want it to slow down more.Its going to be obscenely expensive to feed over winter.

tonijo, Feb 6, 4:19am
Have you talked to the manufacturer!I know there are more vents in fires these days, but it should still be controllable so you don't have a sauna all winter and no money left.

russ18, Feb 6, 4:28am
Will void your warranty but modifying log burners to burn slower is usually not hard if you have some basic engineering skills.
Sounds like you are already investigating how it vents, may be a few holes to be welded up or the slide needs to move further along so no holes line up.

arabelle, Feb 6, 5:06am
x1
that sounds very wrong, gosh if you needed to shut it down in an emergency [high winds etc] or over heating up the flue, what are you to do! only thing is one small log of wood at a time I guess,might as well have an open fireplace in that case

gardie, Feb 6, 5:21am
Different brand fire but we just had to punch out a piece of metal that was pushed in to stop the vent from closing any further.We got a torch and could clearly see what was stopping our fire from closing down.

lozzaqtn, Feb 6, 10:42am
x1
It sounds like you're having trouble with your new Woodsman log burner not turning down enough. I totally get it, the Clean Air rules are important, but it can be frustrating when you can't control the heat output of your fire.

So, let's talk about some possible solutions. First off, it's important to note that tampering with your log burner could be dangerous and could also void the warranty. So, before you try anything, make sure you're not putting yourself or your home at risk.

That being said, there are a few things you can try. The lever to adjust the vent should slide all the way closed, so if it's only going halfway, there might be something blocking it. Check to make sure there isn't any debris or ash that's preventing the lever from moving all the way.

If that doesn't work, you could try adjusting the air intake using the metal bar with the holes drilled along it. This should allow you to reduce the amount of air going into the fire and therefore reduce the heat output. Just be careful not to close it off completely, as this can cause the fire to go out or create a dangerous buildup of carbon monoxide.

Another option is to try using smaller pieces of wood or reducing the amount of wood you're putting in the fire at one time. This will reduce the heat output and slow down the burn rate.

If none of these options work, you might want to consider contacting the manufacturer or a professional installer to see if there's anything else that can be done. It's possible that there's a defect with the log burner that's causing it to burn too hot, in which case you may be able to get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

Overall, it's important to remember that log burners are designed to be efficient and clean-burning, but they also need to be used responsibly. Make sure you're following all safety guidelines and never leave a fire unattended. And don't worry, with a little bit of experimentation and some adjustments, you should be able to find a happy medium where your log burner is burning efficiently without breaking the bank on firewood. Happy burning!

lythande1, Feb 6, 6:28pm
+1, crazy this emissions stuff isn't it.no banking overnight allowed, must go through wood like toilet paper.

peter148, Feb 7, 1:49am
Not that I would ever do this of course, but do you modify the fresh air inlets, or do you dampen or restrict the escape of smoke going up the chimney!

gardie, Feb 7, 5:29am
The fresh air inlets control the burn peter.Just so you are a bit more knowledgeable these days; of course I know you'd never use the information in a practical way.

supernova2, Feb 8, 7:29am
Its designed to be like that but your one may not be correctly adjusted.Ring the manufactures for the correct advice.

I beleive that in most cases the only way to control the heat is to put less wood in.Is that really that hard to do!

As for shutting off in an emergency that wasnt possible even with the old designs.The only way to shut off a fire is to put it out with flowing water or an extinguisher.

golfaholic2, Feb 8, 5:52pm
Warranty aside , you screw with the burner and you will void your insurance if the burner causes a fire .
That said , and I only suggest this if you are outside clean air zones - blocking the holes in the pipe in some fashion , like a half round of pipe lashed across a portion of them with wire maybe !
DONT make a big change .the fire needs air , choke it too much and the thing wont run properly when opened fully , not permanant damage mind you but a flue clean will be needed to return it to its former glory
I know exactly what you mean about the heat , my new burner PUKES it out and kills us .
Ive mentioned a new technology numerous times on this site - I shall give more info.
ECan are looking to CERA to change the rules in CHCH and the rest of NZ will likely follow suit , there is a burner waiting to come onto the market far far cleaner than anything allowed at present .
It will be far more user friendly in the exact aspect mentioned in the OP .1/3 of the heat into the room , the rest of the heat available in hot water , for underfloor or radiator heating .or can be transferred from the water into air and heat pumped thru the house .
News of the CERA decision is eagerly awaited .

floweringrose, Feb 8, 6:58pm
who has a fire going this time of year in the middle of summer!

golfaholic2, Feb 9, 12:01am
A lot of people run theirs 24/7 for hot water .the new technology can be used to run thermal electric generators . easily get 1Kw off a 15Kw burner .lifts thermal efficiency into the 90's at the same time .

Can run the same generators on standard burners but you run into all sorts of issues .

d.snell, Feb 9, 3:29am
Just get a butterfly valve fitted in the flue just above where it is attached to the fire. This way, you don't change the fireplace at all. It works well :-)

wotz_it_2_ya, Feb 9, 3:53am
1Kw output from 15Kw input = high 90's % efficiency!

golfaholic2, Feb 9, 4:39am
1 Kw of electricity .in generating this a major % of the heat normally lost out the flue is retained in hot water .
Thermal efficiency far above any conventional burner

blyme_jerv, Feb 13, 3:23am
look in the back of the fire.is there holes you can fill them with screws

scout_6001, Feb 13, 3:55am
I was interested to read your post as we have a new Woodsman and the same thing is happening, we thought it was a fault with our fire.Interesting to see the comments too, we will have to do something before winter as it chews through the wood.

geofharm, Feb 13, 4:43am
Ah - new wood burners are made not to shut down, why! - you see if you can not shut them down, you do not make smoke, new rules, we live in an area where all old wood burners will have to be replaced by 2014' in the meantime, if you were to sell your house, then you, or the new owner, must, upgrade the burner, pronto, it is the law.

planespotterhvn, Feb 14, 12:27am
Don't comply, resist the smoke nazis.

golfaholic2, Feb 14, 4:46am
correction planespotter .residential smoke nazis .commercial smoke is perfectly fine because the factories pay ECan to allow them to discharge their shit into the air .laden with nasty toxins

nigger_henry, May 26, 3:50pm
Hi , block all holes on airtube in the fire box locateed at back with maniseal (stove cement) get from hardwere shop .