Mossie controls by planting.

_peas, Jan 2, 6:36pm
Hello, has anyone had success with any particular plants!I have googled this but some sites recommend crushing the leaves and nowhere says really how potent the catnip/citronella grass/ageratum etc is.I was thinking of planting something in boxes around an area that we use for dining outside but was unsure on how successful any of these would be in this situation.

aloha3, Jan 2, 9:49pm
Check the area for any stagmant water. I read somewhere that they do not fly far from a water source. We have had very few since I began checking around the house and getting rid of any water lying about.

bigsneak, Jan 2, 10:17pm
If you do have ponds etc. You can use this
http://www.aquatain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/aquatain-amf-flyer-single-page.pdf

Getting your house spider proofed will kill mosquitoes that land on treated surfaces.
We also have the big citronella candles burning down near our feet and air movement like a fan stops them from being able to land on you even at a reasonably slow speed.

_peas, Jan 2, 11:00pm
I have water for sure.A small creek that has stagnant pools in places.I might just bite the bullet and give one of the plants a nudge.Thanks for the replies.

bigsneak, Jan 2, 11:08pm
Not sure if your interested but a pest controller should be able to get hold of product mentioned below that will give you more control.

Eradication methodology

Over the 11 years of the eradication programme, work involved helicopter and ground treatments, trapping and sampling. Treatment in infested areas was carried out every 21 days using s-Methoprene granules. Spraying with Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) was used in instances where live larvae were found.

S-methoprene
S-methoprene is an insect growth regulator that stops mosquito pupae from hatching into adults. It is a solid granule; so it does not drift. The granules are coated with the active ingredient. S-methoprene is used against mosquitoes throughout the world. It has undergone a full health impact assessment in New Zealand. S-methoprene breaks down quickly and is considered to be environmentally safe for use in New Zealand.
Bti
Bti spraying has been used extensively in mosquito control programmes world wide. Bti has also undergone a full health impact assessment. It is not allergenic and has no reported impact on the environment.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/southern-saltmarsh-mosquito

wide-load, Jan 3, 8:52am
we had a place just out of Picton and had a pond. Apart from buring those irritating spirals I planted pyretherim (active ingrediant in fly spray) plant and they had a real positive effect

the-lada-dude, Jan 3, 7:38pm
245 T

kateley, Jan 12, 5:57pm
I read somewhere that lemongrass is a good deterrent for mossies