Planting natives - fertilise or not

apple27, Jun 5, 11:22pm
We bought some plants, which are going to be planted with cardboard and wood shavings as mulch. The grower said not to add fertiliser when we planted, but I'm thinking that the plants might appreciate it still. What should I do?

harrislucinda, Jun 5, 11:55pm
because trees are dormant at this time of year so no need and don't tease the roots once out of bag as I was told natives don't like

lythande1, Jun 6, 12:42am
fertilise in spring

apple27, Jun 6, 12:51am
Thanks for comments. Bobcat - our grower said to cut and tease the roots! I was worried because I've heard, and don't fully understand, that the wood shavings will need some added fertiliser to benefit the soil?

omamari, Jun 6, 1:32am
We plant with slow release fertilser tablets, available from Taupo Native Plant nursery. Two or three per tree. Great results

bluefrog2, Jun 6, 2:14am
Uncomposted wood shavings soak up free nitrogen compounds from the soil as they rot - leaving the soil with a bit less nitrogen than normal. This is why wood shavings in the chook pen cuts down the ammonia (nitrogen compound) smell from poos. Likewise having woody bits mixed into rotting compost prevents smells.
If your simply using it as mulch, on the top layer, and the wood shavings are not mixed into the soil, it may not matter much. If you're concerned, scatter some slow release fertiliser granules into each planting hole. That will last the plant for the first year. As the wood mulch rots over the next few years, it will slowly release nutrients into the ground for the plants anyway.

EDIT: On second thought, if you're planting now, it may be better to wait for spring before adding slow release fertiliser. You don't want the plant to suddenly decide to put out lots of soft green shoots, that get damaged in the next big winter frost.
What I do is wait for the weather forcast to say lots rain coming, dig a small hole through the mulch around the roots to scatter some pellet fertiliser, and cover it back. The rain provides the watering in part.

dibble35, Jun 6, 3:58am
This is very good advice. Personally I would add some slow release fertiliser tablets- the kind that take 2-3 years to break down completely, by the time they start to release some of their nutrients spring will be here anyway. Then you don't have to worry about fertilising them for 2-3 years. Unless the plant is root bound im not a fan of teasing the roots out. If the plant is healthy and well grown and not to old for its bag then putting the root ball as is in the hole is the way to go. I reckon you do more harm than good teasing/damaging the roots on a well grown plant. Also natives don't need or like a lot of high nitrogen fertiliser, the slow release tablets is the way to go

sally63, Jun 6, 4:16am
Agree with the others. DOC in Taupo does a community planting of native plants once a year in August and they drop in the slow release fertiliser tablets in the bottom of each hole prior to planting

apple27, Jun 6, 4:51am
Thanks very much everyone. I've got some slow release fertiliser now, so will pop some in with each plant, and leave the roots alone.

twain1, Jun 6, 6:50am
I dont believe in planting with fertilisers, especially for natives which are slow growing. Plants, particularly trees, need to establish strong roots before they start growing. If you fertilise, it encourages growth at the time the plant should actually only be getting established and not growing. Thats why we plant trees now in winter and not in the spring. Natives in particular are slow growers so dont force them. Fertilise in their second year but not their first

brightlights60, Jun 6, 8:49am
It depends entirely on what you are planting in. If the media (material) you plant in is in any way deficient in nutrients then it is a good idea to add something. But only in Spring/Summer, not when plants are dormant in Winter.

pestri, Jun 6, 10:13pm
Planting with fertiliser will give the plants an initial height boost, but make them soft. The initial height boost may allow them to compete better with weeds, but the soft growth might make them a little frost tender as said above.

annies3, Jun 7, 2:22am
We have never added fertilizer to the thousands of natives we have planted, however there is natural mulch from decomposing gorse and broom, we have planted all year round and have had less than 10% failure, I am surprized at the slow growing comments, ours have at least trebled in height since planting the first ones about five years ago.

buzzy110, Jun 7, 3:48am
Gosh. I've never thought to add fertiliser to any native tree I have ever planted. They don't mind not having any as far as I can see. Natives just grow anyway. They are fairly weedlike in habit so long as you don't plant frost tender in frosty areas, etc. I also found that they thrived in clay. Didn't seem to mind wet feet in winter and no water over summer. I've always loved natives because of their beauty and ease of maintenance. Pity they don't produce more flowers and I wish there were some that bore proper fruit. Still can't have everything.

apple27, Dec 20, 5:13pm
Thanks everyone. Had a great session planting our trees and then putting cardboard and mulch around. No fertiliser for the natives, but did give the star jasmine some slow release when I put them in the ground.