Re-painting coloured concrete

borolad, Jan 9, 6:14pm
Our outdoor area is approx 15 yrs old and terracotta coloured concrete is beginning to look faded and could do with a fresh paint. Not sure what to use and prep involved . Anyone have any experience with this, thanks

mechnificent, Jan 9, 7:19pm
Yeah and I've got a concrete composting dunny that I'd like to paint a dark colour to raise the temperature if anyone's got any advice about what to use for that as well. bare concrete at the moment.

lakeview3, Jan 9, 7:34pm
If it’s the concrete that’s just faded then leave it be. Don’t paint anything doesn’t need painting. Once you paint something then you have more maintenance on your hands.

Also a lot of people make the mistake of waterblasting concrete which is a big mistake, as concrete contains sand, which by blasting you blast out, making it MORE porous and more susceptible to getting dirty.

lakeview3, Jan 9, 7:34pm
get some kind of sealer.

borolad, Jan 9, 8:18pm
Lakeview3 sounds like good advice, if anyone has sealed coloured concrete, would be good to have any feedback and what product you used , thanks

lakeview3, Jan 9, 8:35pm
you potentially could have similar issues with sealer, I mentioned the sealer for mech as it sounds like his application is an indoor one.

Personally if it were me, I would just leave it and not do anything. Just whatever you do, don’t waterblast it. People make the same mistake waterblasting glass too, it contains sand, all they achieve is blasting out the fine particles and making it more porous.

Our driveway is coloured concrete (dark grey) and it has faded over time, but we aren’t doing anything to it.

lakeview3, Jan 9, 8:37pm
Perhaps this is what you are after?

https://www.peterfell.co.nz/colour-range/tinted-sealers/

lakeview3, Jan 9, 8:38pm
I still wouldn’t do it myself. Terracotta probably isn’t the most fashionable colour at the moment and I wouldn’t be making it any darker. But that’s just me.

No offence 😬

mechnificent, Jan 9, 9:48pm
The dunny's outside Lake. I've seen too many flash bought ones in houses get smelly.
It's in the sun and composts fine but people tell me they work better the hotter they are. I don't like painting but thought someone must know of some good dark stain or what's best to paint concrete. but.

That sealer looks like what I need alright. I inquired ages ago but they just showed me paint on the shelf and weren't sure about using it on concrete. Cheers for that.

lakeview3, Jan 9, 11:08pm
yeah I would be sealing a dunny - inside or out. while you are at it, give it quite a few coats lol. You don’t want a porous surface coz you just KNOW what that means!

apollo11, Jan 9, 11:21pm
I've used creosote on concrete - because I had some in the shed. Worked well, and it waterproofed it too.

lakeview3, Jan 9, 11:26pm
it would certainly over power any other smells lol

apollo11, Jan 10, 12:04am
It's not that bad. People used to take it as medicine.

wine-o-clock, Jan 10, 6:53am
colour used was a red oxide pigment, sealer used was a driveway sealer-all from mitre 10

mechnificent, Jan 10, 8:28am
Yeah creosote would be an option. If it's still available. Are you sure people took it Apollo. that would surely do something terrible to your insides.

I don't think the porosity's any problem Sparky. No sign of any discolouring. And the worse smell it ever gets is if I let onion peels/tops in there. That stinks !.

apollo11, Jan 10, 8:37am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote "Even before creosote as a chemical compound was discovered, it was the chief active component of medicinal remedies in different cultures around the world. " https://shop.ehayes.co.nz/creosote-timber-protection-cr4
I only used creosote because I had it. You could just try an exterior acrylic.

mechnificent, Jan 10, 11:46am
Crikey. I knew you could use it externally but not that people took it.

Good old days. Things were simpler then.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 10, 2:26pm
Modern paving paints are much better than they used to be. So long as you follow the directions.

mechnificent, Jan 10, 6:45pm
I never, as a matter of principle, do what I'm told !

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 10, 8:47pm
They call them Destructions for a reason.

mechnificent, Aug 26, 5:13pm
De-structions. Yeah. What you shouldn't do.