New Septic Tank Smell

kittylittle, Aug 22, 7:11pm
this. a possum thats been dead for a while will have heaps of bacteria

pettal, Aug 22, 8:56pm
another option is the inlet to the system has come adrift and allowing sewage into the surrounding soil .

starseeker, Aug 23, 4:05pm
I have heard that throwing in road kill etc only makes more work for the microbes until they have had time to multiply & get up to speed. A drainlayer told us that couple of big bottles of natural yoghurt is far more effective & much cheaper than the commercial stuff activator you can buy

apollo11, Aug 23, 5:01pm
And you really don't want 'remnant of hedgehog' blocking up the pump when they eventually come to empty your tank.

bill1451, Aug 23, 8:52pm
Yep those little pumps only need a tiny piece of bone to catch in the impellor, and burn the motor out, then you are up for a real sh*tty job replacing the pump, probably $500.00 just for the pump.

blogzy, Nov 2, 10:18pm
Can anyone confirm the brown sugar and yeast trick ?
I have inherited a septic tank and it's smelly at the toilet end. Probably needs a suck out at least but if there is any chance I could attempt to reactivate the bacteria I think is worth a cra_ , I mean crack !

tegretol, Nov 3, 12:25am
If it's smelly at the toilet end then you have bigger problems than just a tank smell. How is the smell getting back up the pipe past the inbuilt water trap in the toilet?

blogzy, Nov 3, 6:58am
Yes I understand. It is an old system and more than likely beyond its best by date, but it does flush away. I'm happy to replace the system but would like a few more months use from it before I do.

molly37, Nov 5, 3:56am
Watching with interest. We move soon to a rural property and am trying to learn all there is about such things. the owner tells us to throw in a dead rat . gross, like where do i get something dead for a start, much prefer your suggestion of Natural Yoghurt.

tegretol, Nov 5, 1:29pm
Natural yoggie does not contain the bugs needed in a septic tank. Roadkill does.

tygertung, Nov 5, 3:55pm
Try putting out a rat trap, there are rats everywhere so should be easy to get one.

tegretol, Nov 5, 4:52pm
Or chuck some rotton meat from the local butchery down it.

articferrit, Nov 5, 6:55pm
If its smelly outside upwind of the 'mushroom' on your tank try my yeast and brown sugar trick, what have you got to lose, except for the smell, our septic tank was the size of a double bedroom and it worked. If it smells at the toilet end you have a problem, as for a rat or road kill, if you live rural enough to have a septic tank it shouldnt be a problem to find either.

norton70, Jun 11, 5:33pm
We have a new RX plastics septic system, new build 5 Chamber and boy does it smell. Any reason why? Ideas please,have contacted them with no joy?
Thanks (inside panel shows all good?)

samanya, Jun 11, 7:43pm
Give it time to get the al the beneficial buggies, microbiotic type thingies working - doesn't happen overnight - stick with it.
Best wishes

carter19, Jun 11, 7:46pm
Where is the smell, inside, around the septic, drip lines etc

fibertrix, Jun 11, 11:30pm
Give it time for the microbes to get their act together.

articferrit, Jun 12, 7:22am
You can 'feed' your septic tank, mix some yeast and brown sugar in a jug of warm water and when its good and frothy flush it down the toilet. We had septic tanks for years and while I dont know if its 'recommended' it does get rid of the smell, and doesnt stop the other 'thingies' doing their job.

harm_less, Jun 12, 10:00am
Get yourself some activator such as this: https://www.mainlandwaste.co.nz/septic-tank-cleaning-christchurch

Or flush a dead rat or two, or drop it down the vent.

mouse265, Jun 12, 1:17pm
just throw a it of road kill in it works well

norton70, Sep 12, 7:18pm
Thanks for the ideas, I've been feeding it the recommended bug/chemical stuff.The smell is outside of the tank so if standing 20 metres away or closer you get a real whiff. With wind blowing the smell goes further and stronger. Might try the brown sugar and yeast trick.