Oven with hot plates on top

anne1955, Jul 18, 9:48am
I have recently brought a Russell Hobs oven the small bench top type with elements on top. I used just the oven the other night and one of the rings turned it's self on that I didn't notice and shouldn't have done! I did read the manual and have had just hotplates prior with no oven. Just wanting to know if anyone else has had a problem with there's? Await responses thanks

zirconium, Jul 18, 9:56am
So glad you are ok.

I'd take it back or throw it out, sounds like there is a bad electrical problem with it. :( - Way too dangerous, what if someone had left a tea towel hanging on it?

andrew1954, Jul 18, 10:44am
I was recently looking at these sort of bench top oven / elements unit. I’m sure they were set up, electrical wise, not to be able to have the oven and the elements going at the same time. it was one or the other.
I would have the unit back to the shop if it appears to be faulty.

nzmax, Jul 18, 3:10pm
Im not saying that there couldn't be an electrical wiring problem, but have you been able to replicate the element turning on with the oven again? Have you checked how easy the element knobs are to accidentally bump or knock? Could you have turned on the element inadvertently then "adjusted" the oven temperature but actually only turned it on then without realising it was off? Just a couple of things to look at before returning it, and at least you will be able to tell the sales person that you have checked these things prior to returning it.

sue1955, Jul 18, 6:59pm
I've just been on Briscoes web site & the reviews are not good for this model. People complained that the elements & the oven can't be used at the same time as stated in the booklet.

nzmax, Jul 18, 8:28pm
My guess is that because it plugs into a regular power point, that having the oven and an element(s) running at the same time, would draw too much current and blow the fuse for that power point, hence being limited to one or the other.

anne1955, Jul 19, 9:38am
Thanks for the replies people. Russell Hobbs has replies saying this can't happen. I will set it as it was set and try again and see what happens The reason I brought it was because it was an expensive brand and I assumed this type of thing couldn't happen. I have purchased and returned some years ago a simple Warehouse 2 element only benchtop with no oven and it did similar turning off and on things when ever I forgot to remove plug from wall. I returned that. And upon moving into this unit just a few weeks ago it had a simple to plate hotplate and it turns on both elements even when one is showing it is set on off. Hence why (and I probably shouldn't have) purchased anything like it again. I will as I say retry it and should it do it again return it. And yes nzmax I read and understood why one should attempt to do is and it actually says it won't work with both making it even stranger.

sla11, Jul 19, 10:22am
I don't think ovens are made like they were! Had a Neptune oven I had to keep replacing the regulators on top plates on a very regular basis. Got rid of it and now have Elba (F&P) with oven that book warns you not to use for grilling above 225C - cuts off during cooking! Not a good look when there's a steak trying to cook and heat disappears! So you have to wait until it comes back again. Oven dial goes up to 250C but must only be for looks! Used to turning Grill function to highest heat and going for it, but not with Elba!

pauldw, Jul 19, 11:42am
The simmerstats are known to be rubbish compared to older stoves. I have an older F&P that hasn't had anything replaced since 1995 and a 2006 Simpson Jupiter that has every simmerstat replaced once, waiting for 2nd round.

High grill temps are usually possible only while the door is partially open.

onl_148, Jul 20, 1:28pm
Many simmerstats "die" because the user does not understand that they are designed so you have to turn the knob backwards through the temp ranges to get back to OFF. e.g from OFF to say FULL is clockwise. but when you want to turn it off again you do not continue to turn clockwise past FULL to the nearby OFF position. you turn anti-clockwise back through MEDIUM back to the OFF position ! The inner workings of the simmerstat are not designed / intended to be turned through 360 degress There is a little "flimsy plastic "tit" inside that is meant to prevent turning it past FULL, but the first time the "200 lb gorilla" get their hands on the control knob, and turns it the wrong way this little plastic piece breaks.

pauldw, Jul 20, 7:29pm
If the simmerstat truly shouldn't be turned through full to off it would have a proper stop. I don't believe there is a "flimsy bit of plastic". Why would turning off from full make any difference? The Simpson user manual says hotplate control knobs can be rotated in either direction.

trade4us2, Jul 20, 8:13pm
The only simmerstat that has ever failed for me was on a 30 year old Atlas cooktop. All simmerstats likely have very fine Nichrome wire that may corrode and break, and needs to be covered in a ceramic layer. Due to a manufacturing fault they had missed a bit.
It doesn't make any difference which way the knob is turned.

pamow69, Jul 20, 8:36pm
Thinking simmerstats die because they are turned the wrong way is a complete fallacy. If that were true the simmerstat manufacturer would state that on their packaging as they wouldn't want their product rubbished for no reason. Also the stove manufacturer i.e. F&P, Simpson, Westinghouse etc would state it in the user manual or put a warning on the panel and an arrow. They don't because it is not true.They also would not want to get bad feedback about their stoves if they could simply tell you to only turn it one way.

mazalinas, Jul 20, 9:54pm
Take it back and get a $79 air fryer from Kmart. You can use that like a mini fan forced oven so it cooks things in way less time. You can do a roast chook in it too.

anne1955, Jul 22, 9:49am
I have used this again I even thought it say Hot Surface on the oven top says nothing about the plates heating up like they are almost on med to high when using the oven even thought they are not turned on. And I will admit that when I read the 'hot surface' I assumed that would only be, what it the actual oven surface NOT that it would heat the elements to such a high heat. And not dissipate for far longer than the oven does. The door is another 'oddity' It actually drops down past oven level another 25 at least degrees And when getting things out this is not a saving 'grace' but I feel rather dangerous. Thanks for the input above Anne

lythande1, Jul 22, 1:51pm
Don't bother with them. Your CGA is with the retailer. That would make it Not Fit for Purpose and thus you can get a refund. From the shop.

marte, Jul 22, 9:56pm
Is the OP now saying that it wasn't the hotplate that was on, but rising heat from the oven heating up the underside of the hotplate, and then on up, the hotplate. ?

anne1955, Aug 4, 2:42pm
Up Date I took it back and even before I actually into shop I went in and they said "Russell Hobbs" I said yes they said just bring it back and we will refund or credit :) So thanks people is a worry with what happened and I think consumers should be bloody worried dangerous things. But solved now and new one purchased as yet to be tried but it has not hot plates to cause and grief.

anne1955, Aug 4, 2:43pm
Yes that was what I was saying and even later in evening when oven had been turned off I had not had hotplate even on . Cheers

anne1955, Aug 4, 2:47pm
I actually did that as well with a cup of water on it, and heat the cup up. guess if I had left it on water would have heated up as well.

dainty2, Aug 11, 1:09pm
Hi, I would like reviews or comments on this NEFF Pyrotytic Slide & Hide wall ovens, (just fan bake & Bake) Please.
Cheers

scuba, Oct 6, 5:49pm
I question the intelligence of people who leave things on the stove elements when they are not in use- accident waiting to happen. My mother in law is a prime example- you woud have thought she would learn after the first time she burned a tea towel. no.