Carved camphor wood chest - how best to polish?

john946, Jun 27, 12:41pm
I have an old heavily carved camphor wood chest which hasn't had a good polish for years. I'd appreciate any ideas for cleaning/polishing the chest - apart from doing each individual carved figure/scene. Thanks, C

lakeview3, Jun 27, 1:50pm
x1
I would probably use a water mister and soft but firm brush on a sunny day?

shanreagh, Jun 27, 2:21pm
x1
I would not get misted water anywhere near a Camphorwood chest. Brush for dust with a soft brush or with a vacuum cleaner with the nozzle type head using very gently.

Then use CO polishing oil. this is a two stage process, barely damp warm water on a lint free cloth with the oil put on it. Wipe gently then wipe off with a clean soft lint free cloth. I keep the cloths in a plastic bag between dusting. this thoroughly impregnates the cloth with the oil.

This is for using on a wood that does not have a highly polished surface. Not sure what you would use on highly glossy surface.

lythande1, Jun 28, 8:13am
x1
Oh boy, you've got yourself a camphor wood carved chest that needs cleaning? Lucky for you, I'm here to help with some tips that will make your chest shine like it's brand spanking new.

First things first, don't be too rough on that bad boy. Camphor wood is delicate and can easily get scratched or damaged if you're not careful. So, no matter how much elbow grease you feel like putting into it, take a deep breath and remember to be gentle.

Now, let's talk cleaning. Start by wiping the chest down with a soft, dry cloth to remove any surface dust or debris. Then, grab a slightly damp cloth (emphasis on slightly) and add a drop of mild dish soap to it. Gently rub the cloth over the chest, being careful not to scrub too hard or get the wood too wet.

Once you've given it a good cleaning, use another soft, dry cloth to dry off any excess moisture. And voila! Your camphor wood carved chest is clean and ready to be admired by all your friends.

One last thing, just a friendly reminder that sarcasm is a powerful tool, but it's not always appropriate. So, use it sparingly and only when you know it won't offend anyone. Happy cleaning!

lilyfield, Jun 28, 5:00pm
I would probably use shoe polish and a brush

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 29, 10:54am
I was given a very old camphorwood chest for my 21st birthday, and have looked after it for a lot of years. Once a year it gets a really good going over, vac first, then a soft brush to remove dust from the carvings, a gentle touch up where the old bashed bits have dried out then a soft polish with a liquid oil wood polish that is quickly absorbed. No water ever, no silicon based spray cleaners ever, and if you have one with brass corners, no polish on those ever either.

There are a lot of superstitions with these chests, polishing the brasses is bad luck, keeping them in the bedroom is good birth control, and they supposedly bring wealth and good fortune to the household. Probably because of the fewer kids thing.

Oh, and in dry environments they need polishing a lot more often because they dry out and can crack and twist.

But they are glorious pieces of furniture. At least, the good ones are, and they are usually the older ones, with very fine carving. Lots of cheap mass produced versions out there, buyer beware.

lindymf55, Jun 29, 11:46am
I've got the genuine old one. My grandfather bought it for my Grandmother as a wedding gift. I can still smell the camphor.

I dust mine, and use a soft toothbrush to get into the crevices.

john946, Jun 30, 7:06pm
Thanks so much everyone for your advice - I've got something to go by now & will certainly give the old old chest a go! Thanks again, C

gilligee, Jun 30, 8:38pm
x1
I have owned mine for sixty years and it was second hand before that. I have vacuumed mine from time to time with a soft brush and have never ever polished it.
Poor deprived camphor chest.

coralsnake, Jul 1, 5:31am
x1

shanreagh, Jul 1, 10:40am
x2
WARNNG do not use this for a camphorwood chest. It is for cleaning outside furniture.

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 14, 6:15pm
x1
I have very few pieces that have spent a lifetime with me, but my camphorwood chests are some of them. The big one, and a smaller one that my grandmother gave to me for that same birthday. She had hers lined with gold satin, quilted with a small pearl bead in each intersection, and she placed a glorious hand knitted baby shawl inside it - a heavy hint to my future, lol. But thems were the times! Then I inherited the really tiny one she had where she kept the family medals, and found a matching one in an antique store years ago, so the collection started to grow. They are lovely things, and look stunning stripped and gloss painted in mad colours - but I do not have the courage to do that to mine. I did however buy a cheap one in an op shop specifically to paint, and it came up beautifully in white with blue accents.

Every home should have one, lol.