Garden Shed Without Consent/Permit.

machinehead, Mar 10, 7:25pm
How literally can I take this:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/121606376/diy-dream-come-true-building-consents-for-low-risk-projects-scrapped

I have an old garage which is not quite big enough for what I require. Does the above link imply that I could put an extension on the side without needing to get a permit or consent?

perfectimages, Mar 10, 7:47pm
As with all Govt. legislation nothing will be as simple as it sounds unfortunately. It just means that you MAY not have to get a permit to build the extension to your garage.

pauldw, Mar 10, 10:34pm
"does not include building work in connection with a building that is closer than the measure of its own height to any residential building or to any legal boundary."

gpg58, Mar 10, 10:51pm
Does resource consent come into it as well, (perhaps site coverage?)
I am picking any council will still want their slice of the cake, in some way, most of the time.

tegretol, Mar 10, 11:52pm
These new exemptions only relate to the need for a permit.

They do however, now require that either an LBP or a Chartered Engineer be involved in the construction. This was not the case when the max was 10m2.

So it ain't all as is portrayed by the gubbermint and indeed was only ever planned as a boost to the building industry. What makes you ever think that it was intended to help the small man?

elect70, Mar 11, 12:42am
Buy a steel container & plonk it on site as its not regarded as a building . Lots of people do this & im going to put 1 along side the garage for storage rather than build an extension & take out a second mortgage for consens fees bad enough i need consent$$$ for a new double door in place of 2 singles

nzshooter01, Mar 11, 7:15am
Ive just built a 6m x 5m new stand alone building,
Without any consent
Im rural so have no problem siteing it clear of all existing buildings and boundarys.
It cant have any plumbing, that would need a consent,
Has to comply with the building code, and should be overseen by a LBP,
you can also build up to 110 sq mtr pole type shed with no consent. The fact you are extending an old building may muddy the waters somewhat?

tygertung, Mar 11, 8:02am
Is anyone likely to tell on you, or even care?

machinehead, Mar 11, 9:19am
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Ideally we would just knock down the existing shed and build a larger, new one. Money is the issue though. Not just the cost of the new build/kit set, but also permits/consents.

That's why we thought we'd hopefully get around that, by just extending the existing garage slightly.

We're in a central location (Hamilton). No plumbing required.

Only wanting ~4m x ~4m.

There's a day care on one side, residential home on the other, and a GP clinic over the back fence. Only the clinic would be potentially put out (the proposed extension would cast a bit of shadow over one of the windows). In addition, the existing garage is right up against the back fence, so if the clinic didn't like it, they'd probably have good reason, and a strong case to contest?

machinehead, Mar 11, 9:20am
A container is a great idea, but I'm sure they'd police the positioning of that too?

If we were to choose that option, we'd need it right up against the back corner. although that backs onto a carpark and the clinic, so no residential neighbours would be imposed upon.

goose16, Mar 11, 10:16am
Are you absolutely sure this is correct?

budgel, Mar 11, 10:30am
I think it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Go for it.

machinehead, Mar 11, 10:31am
After a quick look, over certain footprint size, I think it is.

Although, I'd be happy with something much smaller than the threshold (if I have read the restrictions right).

It's just annoying that it would be another separate "building" in the garden - this will require more alarm system components. Ideally we'd just like one structure, but given our budget, we'll have to make do with the next best option(s).

tegretol, Mar 11, 8:21pm
Paint it to match the surroundings and they won't even notice it.

john7891, Mar 14, 8:29pm
Just do it - what's the worst that can happen? You will be asked to remove it. Observation suggests 2 out of 3 properties in my suburb have, for various reasons, non compliant sheds!
Would be different if it is to be used as residence.

machinehead, Mar 15, 11:09am
That's what I was thinking, but I'd hate to be facing a fine too.

Additionally, I've taken a year off work to be the Stay At Home Parent - my time is short, so I don't want to waste time creating a foundation, putting up a shed, only to have to spend even more time removing it.

jan2242, Mar 15, 11:25am
Neighbour built a massive one, right ton the boundary and council see it all the time. They haven't said a thing. He had also chopped down healthy native trees and they don't care about that either.

tygertung, Mar 15, 12:17pm
If you paint it forest green, including the roof, it won't be visible to the council.

tegretol, Mar 16, 11:21am
It's the neighbours that matter, not the council. Few councils will bother unless a complaint is received.

apollo11, Mar 16, 11:40am
Only works if you live in a forest.

tygertung, Mar 16, 5:34pm
Put some camo netting up or some of that brushy stuff up against it.

jsimons12, Aug 10, 1:55pm
If you just get an engineer to sign it off if it is over 10sqm and up to 30sqm, you will be fine, I imagine it may not cost too much to do that hopefully - there might be a semi retired one that likes odd jobs perhaps.