Did anyone see the news item -recycling Gib board?

johotech, Oct 9, 6:23pm
I can't find the news item now. I saw it on the TV though.

They were recycling building material and separating the gib board, and shredding it to use the gypsum. The article showed a fertiliser spreader truck spreading the white material, presumably gypsum.

But later I was thinking, Gib board has glass fibre in it - Aqualine has a lot of glass fibre.

What's going to happen to that glass fibre in the environment? Are cows going to be eating it? Is it going to end up contaminating vegetables?

alleycatz, Oct 9, 8:49pm
its a cunning way of reintroducing milk in GLASS BOTTLES again.

it comes out "prepacked " from the cow !

ira78, Oct 10, 3:51pm
Contaminating vegetables? Glass? It's just silica, hope there's never been sand on that field, it might contaminate the vegetables.

trade4us2, Oct 10, 9:27pm
Fireproof Gib board has glass fibre in it, and ordinary Gib board doesn't.

daz59, Oct 10, 9:44pm
And I thought they fedcows chocolate to make chocolate milke!

johotech, Oct 10, 10:44pm

trade4us2, Oct 11, 9:28am
So they have re-engineered Gib board since I used it. So it should not now be put into the environment.

"Since re-engineering GIB ® Standard 10mm and 13mm in 2010, its strength, flexibility, and reputation for ease of installation and long lasting quality have been well proven"

johotech, Oct 11, 9:39am
Yes. And the news article I saw was about recycling waste from building sites, including off-cuts of new Gib.

Aqualine and Braceline have a lot of glass fibre in them. You can see the strands sticking out of any cut edges.

supernova2, Oct 11, 1:47pm
I just pulled out some old Gib. It was the real old stuff with the small stones in it. Love to see them put that thru a fert spreader.
Wait for it somebody will suddenly realise that Gib is now not a recyclable product.

colin433, Oct 11, 2:12pm
it looked like a viable option when they showed it on TV, only time will tell

ronash, Oct 11, 8:57pm

johotech, Oct 11, 11:20pm
Thanks for that. I was searching from the wrong keywords I think.

kerryalan, Oct 12, 4:51pm
Pumice

golfaholic2, Oct 13, 5:48pm
All the Gib has a heap of glass now , by far the most would be toughline and superline . they have a glass mesh inside the back of the board

As for pumice , the story I heard was that the Maori , who were selling it to Winstones , upped the price so Gib did away with it .
I got to use the board the once , on the Park Royal in Chch . it came down from the north island as aqualine when the Opawa branch couldnt up with demand .
Pumice wasnt used in Chch . at least from my limited experience , 80-17
It was painful to use . wrecked a stanley blade on every cut .

supernova2, Oct 13, 7:47pm
Maybe but it was black like road chip. More like very small river run, or sand from a napier beach.

martin11, Oct 16, 7:23am
Pumice Gib was around in the Chch are for a long time from the early 70,s . do not know where it was made then . Probably from chch plant which was opened in the early 60,s

fruitbat, Mar 6, 5:44am
The human race can't win. biggest problem. Too many of them.