Garden Shed siting

hkjoe, Apr 3, 6:23pm
I have a garden shed with a wooden floor, secured to five joists (bearers) which are about 80mm heightwise.

Can I safely place this directly on gravel (10mm chip) without fear of damp rising (too far) up the bearers? The gravel is quite a thick layer; probably at least 75mm.

5425, Apr 3, 6:25pm
First the size , and then how close to any boundary.?

hkjoe, Apr 3, 6:42pm
Shed size is 1.8 x 1.1m, but I'm asking advice, more or less, as to whether I should place the shed on bricks, or another layer of wood, to keep it further off the ground, or perhaps use some DPC under the bearers.

survivalkiwi, Apr 3, 7:19pm
Keep it up off the ground to allow airflow under it to stop dampness.

blueviking, Apr 4, 7:07am
You'll be right as long as the bearers are H3.2 or above. Bricks are porous so the wood will be sitting on wet in the winter anyway

wine-o-clock, Apr 4, 7:28am
and then how close to any boundary.?

perfectimages, Apr 4, 9:57am
What has the boundary got to do with the OP's question? They are asking what they should sit it on not where it should be sited.

5425, Apr 4, 11:50am
Because Councils have rules about the shed distances to boundaries.

trade4us2, Apr 4, 1:34pm
I don't have a shed. I have a fence and two very large doors and a roof.

perfectimages, Apr 4, 1:39pm
As I said read OP's Question #1 and #3, he was not asking where to put it only what to put it on. Whether he follows his council's rules as to position has nothing to do with what he is asking.
Sigh! another case of not reading what is written, you have only read what you thought was written.

amasser, Apr 4, 3:20pm
Get H4 - treated for in-ground use. Should be sufficient but you could a paver at each corner, at little cost.

fast4motion, Apr 4, 5:04pm
My first thought was to suggest pavers, but OP says there are 5 bearers, so could need up to 10 pavers (2 for each bearer) to prevent sagging, and getting them all level and stable. Then you have to worry about the pavers settling, meaning uneven weight distribution, cracked pavers, sagging floor etc.

solarboy, Apr 4, 10:12pm
How about a couple of 1.8 metre half round fence posts placed under the bearers for an H4 ground treated base? I'd suggest placing then just inside the side walls so the bearers have less chance of bowing if you have weighty stuff in the shed or splash out and put one down the centre so the bearer only span about 500 mm. Posts around $6 each.

amasser, Nov 29, 10:56am
Checked size above and 3 H4 posts on ground would be ample. Did same previously and used 25 mm. thick fence palings as a floor, inside the shed walls, with those resting on the bearers (posts) so it was watertight.
However, O/P does not state if his 5 bearers are treated and might not want to swap them.