Buying roses online

candyfloss, May 8, 2:46pm
I am wanting to purchase some roses - probably online as live rural and not that close to any garden centres. Can anyone recommend an online site which you have found or heard to be good- I live in the South Island as well

kay141, May 8, 2:53pm
I buy mine from the nurseries.
South Pacific Roses, Mathews, Tasman Bay, D & S Roses and Wairere all sell online. Grass roots have heritage varieties.

If you google rose nurseries nz , they will all come up.

Often there are varieties you can't purchase retail and I've never had a failure yet.

pamols, May 8, 3:37pm
Roach nursery sells and ships roses! Mike is very knowledgeable and has years of experience!

candyfloss, May 8, 4:06pm
Thanks for your replies. Some of these nurseries are in the North Island would the roses not get damaged if they have to come all the way to the south?

pamols, May 8, 4:07pm
No I got roses sent the other way and always survived! It’s what they do!

kay141, May 8, 4:55pm
I have lived in both the SI and NI and have had roses shipped to all addresses.

They are usually available in winter, bare rooted and are well packed in cartons with the roots protected by damp shredded paper and enclosed in a plastic bag.

I started buying online when I couldn't get what I wanted in the stores. Now I buy most of my plants online. Some trees, climbers and perennials on here, others from the growers.

I can't recall either a damaged plant or a failure to thrive.

piquant, May 8, 5:02pm
I would recommend Tasman Bay Roses. They are based in Motueka and have for many years provided stock to individuals, garden centres and online. Quite the best roses I have come across and as a previous poster mentioned - never had any failures. Their website is tbr.c-.n-

candyfloss, May 8, 5:04pm
Thanks for that Kay141 - it is very true that often the stores don’t have the particular one that you want so online seems to be the way to go I think.

wheelz, May 8, 7:48pm
You'll have to be in quick. they sell thousands to garden centres and orders will have been in ages ago for this planting season.

j96, May 8, 8:23pm
just wondering if now is the time to be planting roses? I have bought some but need to find a way of restraining my goat before i can plant them. Whats the latest you can plant (standard) roses and any tips for making sure they grow happy and healthy?

wheelz, Nov 13, 9:05am
They will be fine potted up until you're ready to plant, keep an eye on the potting mix, so it doesn't dry out. Also might pay to secure the standards some how to prevent being blown over in winds.