Grass not growing well under tree

benfolds, Sep 27, 4:54pm
I've tried a shade variety of grass seed but it just hasn't taken off too well.

Does anyone know of an alternative to grass which can grow in shade and handle being stepped on by dogs and children etc.

Otherwise i may just put in some pavers and plant something between them, again any ideas of a nice low level plant which can grow between pavers? I've seen some like moss mounds? Sorry don't know the name of them.

Thanks

tweake, Sep 27, 5:56pm
feed the grass. trees tend to consume lots.

samanya, Sep 27, 7:03pm
In my experience, grass never grows well under trees.
As tweake said, the trees suck up the nutrients.

harm_less, Sep 28, 4:11pm
What type of tree is it? Some trees such as eucalyptus or many conifers will acidify or otherwise toxify the soil around them to limit competition for nutrients. Also many trees have surface feeder roots that are likely to be badly effected by paving.

lalbagh, Sep 28, 4:18pm
Tradescantia (wandering jew) grows really well under trees in partial shade, particularly where lawn has died off for lack of light. most people see it as a weed though.

342, Sep 28, 4:24pm
Many dogs are also highly allergic to this as well and get terrible rashes. I wonder if pratia angulata would be any good OP.

maclad, Sep 28, 5:04pm
Do not waste your time planting this nasty invasive weedy plant.

docsportello, Sep 28, 5:08pm
astro turf. in red

benfolds, Sep 29, 10:33am
It's a lovely maple tree, i've chopped it back a bit to allow more light to get under it. I've thought about astro turf- not sure about red though.

electricfencenz, Mar 16, 12:59am
Grass never grows well under trees due to
1/ shade
2/ competition for water and nutients by the tree roots
Those conditions are not likely to change.
Best options are
1/ Use a grass type that is more tolerate of shade such as fine fescue. This is not a miracle grass though, it simply means it is more tolerate of shade, so will grow better than other grasses. But it still needs enough light and will eith fade out or grow weakly if light too little
2/ Fertilize year round this area (as tree is nicking all the nutients)
3/ Water shaded area when needed (as tree roots taking all water). It will need water before and after the periods that the main lawn needs water
4/ Grow the grass under the tree considerably longer than the main lawn (maybe 60mm). This increases leaf area (so lets the grass photosynthesis the maxium light it can get from the low light conditions) and increases the grass root mass/depth giving it greater access to scarce water and nutrients in the soil
5/ Trim the tree to allow "windows" of light through the tree

If all else fails put a shade loving plant there instead of grass such as dwarf mondo or clivias or lyropae