Re-planting orchid outdoors

meoldchina, Sep 17, 4:48pm
I have an orchid flowering in my garden in Nelson. It's not the most beautiful orchid, in my opinion, and it's not where I want it to be (I didn't plant it). So, my question is; how and when should I transplant it? I have looked on Google and can only find reference to re-potting indoor orchids. I am wondering whether to turn it into an indoor plant because I don't really have a spot in the garden that lends itself to orchid growing. It's also quite big so I could potentially get several plants to put-up. Come to think of it - I suppose I could plant it into outdoor pots.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 17, 5:52pm
Photo might help, to determine species.

samanya, Sep 17, 6:26pm
Hell, I think I'm lucky to have kept one growing for several years inside . more good luck than management/knowledge.
If you are lucky enough to be able to grow them out doors, I'd apply the same principles as the re-potting advice & try to give it the same conditions as recommended for inside . you know it will grow outside.
As hunni said . if it's an epiphyte type orchid you could have great fun planting bit of it in trees
http://www.orchidplantcare.info/epiphyte-orchid-plants/
Good luck.

meoldchina, Sep 17, 6:40pm
OK. When it stops raining, I'll take a photo and post it on here for you experts.
I don't think it's an epiphyte, but I could be wrong.

ianab, Sep 17, 7:06pm
Orchids usually do better in an outdoor pot vs indoors. This depends on the species of course, but if yours is flowering in the garden now it's probably going to be happier out there. .

I've had best luck just planting them in a large pot of "orchid mix", the free draining stuff with lots of big bark chunks it it, then putting them in a sheltered out of the way spot and basically forgetting them. When they flower. move the pot inside or onto the deck so you can see it, then back behind the shed once the flower dies off.

Some species are OK living inside full time, but usually need just the right spot to do well.

meoldchina, Sep 18, 11:55am
Here's my orchid:
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/871498028.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/871498189.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/871498321.jpg
Should I stick a garden fork through it and divide like a clump of agapanthus, or do I need to be more careful than that?

les6, Sep 18, 4:11pm
looks like a cymbidium?if you have big pot you can bury in the right place just repot with the barkchip orchid mix and put the whole pot in its new place.it should have plenty of drainage too, underneath.it will look like its growing there but will be still potted and in the right mix,any soil it will just rot away in no time.

ianab, Sep 18, 5:12pm
When you dig it out you will find a clump of "bulbs", and a tangle of roots underneath. The roots can be cut and pulled apart, but try not to damage the bulbs themselves too much as you pull them apart. Each bulb can grow into a new clump, sometimes even old "dead" ones with no leaves will sprout a new shoot if you replant them. That patch of garden looks part shaded for much of the day? That's what orchids like, but you can put it into several pots and stick them back in that (or a similar) spot like Les6 suggests. Just make sure that if you bury the pot that it's still free draining. Wet feet will kill them.

meoldchina, Sep 18, 6:07pm
Les6 and Ianab, many thanks for your advice. I will wait until it has finished flowering and do as you suggest. I want to clear the semi-shaded area that it currently inhabits and install a garden sculpture. I will now research cymbidium.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 18, 7:12pm
I grew these outside in Taupo, in a sheltered spot. Every winter they froze solid. I had the best flowers ever from the frozen bulbs. I suspect they were just overjoyed to survive a Taupo winter, lol.

Nelson is tropical in comparison.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 18, 7:14pm
Btw, they do quite well hanging in burlap sacks filled with bark mix from trees or fences. They are happy to be treated as epiphytes so long as they get fed every now and then.

orchid21, Sep 20, 6:43pm
Please don't break up the plant into separate bulbs, it will take a long time to come back into flower, if at all. Cymbidium divisions do best with one growing shoot to three bulbs (2 shoots 4+ bulbs). The bulbs store food and water for the plant - the fewer bulbs you have, the less nutrition the division has to get through the plants being broken up. The very old, husky bulbs may be discarded, but keep the rest. Good luck with it!

meoldchina, Sep 20, 7:22pm
Very helpful advice. Thank you. Good luck with your Tauranga Orchid Show. Wish I could attend.

ianab, Sep 22, 7:19pm
Yeah, individual bulbs will usually eventually sprout and regrow, but it will take a few years to get re-established. A larger clump has more reserves, and has a much better chance of throwing up a flower stem next year.

You can keep any stray ones that happen to fall off, and replant them. But expect them to be a longer term project.