REMOVING FURNITURE SCRATCHES.

dottyone1, Feb 17, 1:14pm
Any one have any advice or know where I can buy waxes or books on subject. I have several old pieces of wooden furniture I wish to remove stains and scratches from.

trade4us2, Feb 17, 1:45pm
I usually mix some linseed oil with turpentine and rub that all over.

..pip.., Feb 17, 2:15pm
A walnut.

max.headroom, Feb 17, 3:00pm
Oxalic acid for water marks,, walnuts wrapped in a cheese cloth , twist till it forms a ball then rub on scratch
Alot depends on the finish the piece was given when it left the maker

pugswal, Feb 17, 7:39pm
There is a polish/liquid called Hopkinsons (I think from memory) available at good furniture shops or antique places. It does the job very well. It is pink and clear liquids in a bottle. shake to mix and apply with soft cloth.

shanreagh, Feb 18, 8:26am
Also CO polishing oil is a good one to use on scratches. Available at many supermarkets. factory is here in Wellington. Cream version is good for Formica etc.

hilt_dwane, Feb 18, 10:48am
I had heard that a cut potato worked but have never tried it

coralsnake, Feb 18, 3:25pm
Go to your local library and look for books.
Or go to the likes of Bunnings or Mitre10 and ask.
Alternatively Google search as there is a load of info on the internet on this subject.

Do you want to fill the scratches first?

I have some very old books on refinishing that are like a Bible to me for this purpose!

retired, Feb 18, 7:27pm
I have a bottle of Topps Scratch Remover don't know where I bought it but it was a while ago.

sand8, Feb 20, 2:07pm
Shoe polish rub in with cloth with matching coloue

nextstop, Feb 20, 6:46pm
I second shoe polish, I have a few different variations on brown and use them, work a treat!

triplefive, Dec 17, 3:05pm
I've used a walnut half just rubbed on -worked a treat- or walnut oil if you want to use it for something else as well, since it's really expensive.