Peonie roses, i am thinking of

dishwash1, Dec 26, 4:42pm
growing these to take the flowers to markets to sell or grow the plants to sell. Does anyone know some useful information or tips about these plants please?

starseeker, Dec 27, 4:13pm
If you are north of Hamilton,forget it! They like colder climates.

During the winter I chip a heap of ice off my freezer & put that on the dormant roots several times so that the plant thinks it has gone through a cold winter. Or fill 2 litre milk bottles with water & freeze this, then put on ground above the roots. In Hamilton I found that it took 2-3 years for each plant to mature enough to flower, & even then was only 1-2 flower heads. Watch out for slugs/snails, they love the new shoots as they come through, & will also travel up the flower stems to sample the buds.

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 27, 4:18pm
Google OP. Masses of culture notes.

shanreagh, Dec 27, 7:01pm
You live in prime Peony country if your location is correct with commercial Peony growers close to you. at least there used to be. Some times joining a garden group can help. Often local garden centres know of contacts for garden group or have tips and tricks.

dishwash1, Jan 21, 5:19pm
Yes my location is correct, down towards the bottom of the South Island and it sure does get cold enough here for them. I have been to the Invercargill markets and have seen only 2 stalls selling Peonies and there is a demand for them so thought I might try my luck but wasn't sure where to start.