Freesia Seedlings - What do they look like?

jsimons12, Mar 21, 4:58am
Hi there, am growing for the first time in the garden, they appear to have taken off or is grass popping up everywhere? After about 3 weeks growth it looks like grass shoots. But when I pull one up there is a small seed at the base, but it does not look like the seed I planted which was large & purple. Thanks for your help.

lemming2, Mar 21, 5:21am
Freesia bulbs usually put up 2 small leaves about a centimetre across at the broad bit, and a few centimetres long, narrowing to a point. They sort of overlap each other at the base. then they get bigger and longer with more leaves.

jsimons12, Mar 21, 5:24am
Thank you I have seen those but have never planted from seed before (Yates Giant Masterpiece) they develop corms/bulbs later. But at the moment it just looks like grass everywhere! :)

annies3, Mar 21, 5:48am
That will be your seed comming up it will look like grass like gladioli seedlings but a bit finer

jsimons12, Mar 21, 5:55am
Oh thank you, do you happen to know of good ground cover seed to plant in between there is not much space, just to keep the weeds out & to go over the top of Freesia corms after they flower & die down, I was thinking of Acaena inermis/NZ Burr - but do not know if you can buy it from seeds?

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 21, 6:06am
I cast pansy seed (viola) over my freesias, works a treat.

jsimons12, Mar 21, 6:41am
Oh really that's good to know I have viola in large pots looked great until powdery mildew set in, does yours look nice all year round?

lythande1, Mar 21, 5:03pm
Can't be confused with grass. they are obviously a bulb. You know how they look when in flower? The leaves look just the same when they sprout.
They don't have seeds. they have a bulb. about the size of an orange segment.,

tui93, Mar 21, 7:21pm
What about that groundcover called bacopa (?) think that's right spelling. A lowgrowing perennial groundcover in purple or white. I really like it.

annies3, Mar 21, 9:28pm
http://www.gardenguides.com/82827-grow-freesia-seeds.html
Apparently you can grow freesia from seed I wouldn't expect flowers for a while though.

jsimons12, Mar 28, 3:27am
Yes they do have seeds - 'Yates giant masterpiece' - they develop a corm/bulb later on.

jsimons12, Feb 21, 10:53am
According to packet flowering within about 4 months
quote=annies3]http://www.garde-
nguides.com/82827-grow-freesia-
-seeds.html
Apparently you can grow freesia from seed I wouldn't expect flowers for a while though.[/quote]