Architrave and skirting, rimu timber

treens2, Aug 30, 4:51am
Trying to find some skirting rimu timber on tm. Nothing listed, see there is rimu listed under architrave I am presuming this would be suitable for skirtings also. Could someone enlighten me. I always thought the timber you used around your doors was architrave timber,tia

mm12345, Aug 30, 5:03am
Architraves are typically smaller than skirtings. Without getting a tape out - looking at our (1962) rimu, the architraves are about 3 inch, the skirtings about 4 or 4 1/2 inch.
If you're coming to Chch, Musgroves may have recycled rimu in the right profile. Best IMO to take a small piece of each to match - because you may find that there are lots of slightly different sizes when you'd assumed that they were all the same.
For new, Hardie & Thomson may have stock of "Pacific" rimu (which isn't rimu at all - but may look close enough if you're not doing a full room) or if it was an unusual profile, they could do a special run, but that would work out to be very expensive per metre unless you're needing a lot, as there will be a fixed tooling / setup charge.

johotech, Aug 30, 5:18am
Yep, what MM said.

The original 1950's-60's splayed architrave (Splayed arch, or government arch) was actually 2 1/2", which is about 63mm. In a lot of houses, they used the same for skirting.

Best to have a sample of yours to check. But if you do a whole room, it doesn't really matter if it is a slightly different size.

zak410, Aug 30, 5:32am
Architraves would only be about 2m long,
so not really suitable for skirting boards.

johotech, Aug 30, 5:51am
Really?

Usually it is actually sold in "random lengths".

zak410, Aug 30, 5:55am
I thought about recycled.

mm12345, Aug 30, 6:19am
^^^
True - that can be pretty random though. Then Sod's Law comes in to play - the longest piece you can find in the stack will be about 5mm too short.

lakeview3, Aug 31, 4:57am
hi there - here is a place I got reproduction rimu skirting a from for my villa

http://southpacifictimber.co.nz/products/mouldings

treens2, Oct 12, 12:51pm
Thanks lakeview will send them a sample and see if they have a match. Will also send musgroves a sample also, my villa is 1910s,downstairs skirting at some time has been replaced with modern skirting.