How much sun is the minimum for roses?

jackryan, Dec 8, 10:29pm
We have just planted up a row of standard orange star of courage roses. The perfume is lovely. The last rose on the end is worrying me, we may need to move it. It won't get much sun at all in the winter, and in the summer the sun won't be all day, perhaps half a days sun. Is this enough! There are no other plants around it, there is free airflow, not crowded.

jackryan, Dec 8, 10:30pm
What are the minimum hours of sunlight for a rose during the flowering period in your opinion!

kateley, Dec 9, 12:13am
Your roses will be dormant in the winter, so lack of sun shouldn't be a problem,they will need at least 6 hours per day the rest of the year to do well

lythande1, Dec 9, 2:12am
They don't actually care about sun too much. Every rose I have ever grown did better in the south side in a cooler damp area.
That's both in Auckland and in Southland.
What they do like is water.

laurenlee, Dec 9, 6:15pm
Half a day's sun is fine with most roses.I have not heard of orange Star of courage,so will look it up-a row of them sounds'different' from a row of white iceberg that so many people like,and should look stunning in a couple of years.The previous owners here planted cherry-red'Uetersen' in the shade of a gingko and it does very well indeed,with almost no sun.Themain thing is make sure drainage is fine.