Draining from Shower/ Bath

gazzat22, Dec 22, 8:50pm
House has a concrete floor,shower and bath are raised but not a great deal about 4-5 inches .As there is not enough room(height) fo a grease trap?,s bend i presume there is just a pipe to the drain? As the shower is in a line with the bath would the two connect up to go to the outside drain.drainage from shower seems to be getting a bit slow so may have to look at some way of checking/clearing it.Any advice appreciated.

maclad, Dec 22, 9:30pm
You can get a product called Drano at supermarkets and I understand it works fairly well. Go for the easy option first. Have you tried plunging it first.

alister1, Dec 22, 9:51pm
Drill hole in pipe at end of drain turn water on at shower use a piece of wire to slide up the pipe all fixed

gazzat22, Dec 22, 10:33pm
Yes,might try a length of curtain wire with a hook on the end and or Draino Thanks

carter19, Dec 23, 7:07am
There will be a trap under the shower, it is part of the plumbing code. If it wasnt there your whole house would smell of sewerage. Dont drill a hole in the pipework. Use Drano. Have you taken out the drain cover and removed all of the hair? It is surprising how many people dont do this.

gazzat22, Dec 23, 8:19pm
Does the "grille"just screw off and leave the rest in place as i dont want to pull the shower base out ?if not will try to get any hair out with a bit of wire.The trap looks like just an angled fitting not like the usual S bend or grease trap .

biddy6, Dec 23, 11:26pm
The Grill should undo anti clockwise, and the you can see the other parts which you can clean.

gazzat22, Dec 24, 1:09am
Ta will give it a go!

supernova2, Dec 24, 8:28am
Careful.
Most of the grills just pull up and off. If you undo a pull off grill you will drop the whole trap under the floor of the shower.
Those easy clean traps only need a few inches as opposed to a conventional trap like you find under the sink.

aktow, Dec 28, 11:01am
try pulling up cover first,, both our showers the cover just sits in place,, i put in a toothbrush between the slits and lift, there is a inner plastic piece to remove, takes seconds to do,,

jonners2013, Dec 28, 5:38pm
Hope you use someone else's toothbrush

gazzat22, Dec 30, 8:47pm
Getting back to my original post the shower waste and bath waste are in a line with one drain outside.Would there be a "S" bend under the bath and would i be able to push a bit a wire/curtain wire up from the outside.I presume Draino would dissolve grease etc but i suspect its partially blocked by hair(wife washes hair in shower) Shower box is showing signs of age so am thinking of replacing itAny suggestions welcome.

skin1235, Jun 25, 3:52pm
the drain under the shower is a two piece cup arrangement, it recreates the expected S bend, the top cover can be lifted straight up, it has one of the cups attached underneath it and water channels ( which will be full of hair - and other smelly gunk
after removing the top, when looking down the drain you will see an upturned cup, using both hands slide your fingers down into that smelly stinking wee hole and by pushing outward you will have sufficient grip to remove that cup, you'll note it has a slot right around the top with wings to keep it central - you may have to bend a coat hanger so it will slide down that slot and grip one of the wings in order to get it out

Draino will clear it BUT most are made of plastic, as are most shower trays, and draino is pure caustic soda, it will mark plastic very easily, ( and stainless too - it creates a faded area very quickly), the chrome finish on most shower floor caps will suffer if draino is used