Seville orange trees

moparpete, Jul 13, 2:50am
Saw them in warehouse ,am wondering how easy it is to grow in Waikato region also this type of oranges are they suitable for eating by itself or more for cooking purposes. Thanks.

ebygum1, Jul 13, 3:33am
Not good eating,but the best oranges for making marmalade.

ambo11, Jul 15, 5:23am
NewHall are beautiful oranges to eat, very juicy, ours are just ripening now. Grow fairly quickly too if fertilized and watered.

wendalls, Jul 15, 11:44am
I was wondering why anyone would plant this variety when I googled sour oranges. I made some yummy marmalade which no one else wants to try. Get a decent eating one.

floralsun, Jul 16, 12:29pm
I like New Zealand Navel oranges for eating and marmalade, any use really - and for peeling well, including all the white pith, slicing across into 1/2cm thick slices, and spreading in an overlapping layer in a shallow dish.
Bring to a simmer 1/2 cup water and 1/2 sugar. simmer till lightly golden and drizzle over the oranges - the result, oranges and yummy caramelly-toffee. Yum!

davidt4, Nov 21, 8:53am
Seville oranges are fantastic for marmalade but otherwise pretty limited in the kitchen as they are very sour and seedy. Unless on dwarfing stock they will grow into an enormous tree. I wouldn't plant one unless I had unlimited orchard space and lots of friends who like marmalade.