Green Walnuts

anne1955, Jan 15, 8:32am
When I say green as in the non ripe ones, that they say you can put a needle though. People know what I mean? I want to buy some! Not sure even what time of year I should be looking :( I am happy to pay if someone wants to put up an auction for them. I believe under 2.kgs with NZ post I can get them here from anywhere in NZ for about 7.oo postage.
Any help will / would be great Thanks Anne

goodbooks, Jan 15, 11:24am
Hi. they're best for pickling in December here in the BOP - just checked your profile - maybe still ok where you are with the season a little later. If you can easily push a needle or skewer right through the green nut, you can pickle them, any later and the nut will have begun hardening inside.

Pickled, they're truly delicious. we love them with cheese and fresh bread. yum. They also keep well - for many years.

anne1955, Jan 15, 9:26pm
Thanks goodbooks sadly can't or haven't found any in area :( Have a friend with a tree very old tree and it has one walnut on it and it's the first for the tree. So there might be a long wait. I'll put a post and see if anyone here in DN has any trees and will see them. Thanks for the input Anne

nchun, Jun 10, 5:05pm
Sweet Italian Walnut Liqueur .
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/nocino/