Firewood needed

rabbitsvilletau, Aug 4, 2:42am
Hi all,
Does anyone know of a place in Tauranga I can get a car boot load of free firewood, I have no chainsaw.
It is just so darn cold and I am poor at the moment while I can't work awaiting my operation at Tauranga hospital, after last week waiting hours all prepped for surgery to get bumped of the list later that day.

lythande1, Aug 4, 3:14am
The local rubbish dump? The one here sometimes had wood.

annies3, Aug 4, 3:21am
Have seen free firewood at various businesses mitre 10 and other places just for the taking, pallets and stuff like that, but it would still need cut.

samanya, Aug 4, 7:48am
What annies3 said . OK, pallets are not the most preferred choice of firewood & they do take a bit of work . but they are FREE from many business's.
I advertised free pallets last year & in spite of people moaning about being 'hard up & cold' in draughty quake damaged homes in ChCh. not one person could be bothered to come & collect some . so they went to the dump.

zoopa, Aug 4, 11:06am
Most of the cold and draughty homes have draughty heat pumps to match

samanya, Aug 5, 6:51am
Do they?
Poor buggers . a draughty heat pump is the pits!

music_note, Aug 8, 8:02am
Many people don't have a way of cutting them up.

elect70, Aug 9, 3:23am
Get shot down by the greens , but could go to building sites & ask for offcuts etc

traderat, Aug 20, 8:10pm
LIONS club !

traderat, Aug 20, 8:11pm
Citizens advice

traderat, Aug 20, 8:12pm
WELFARE free grant

traderat, Aug 20, 8:23pm
D o Not get treated offcuts from building sites

lissie, Aug 20, 8:23pm
Really? A $30 hand saw works pretty well on them - picked it up at Bunnings and am very impressed. Pallets work fine for quick heat - we picked some up for free over summer as we are new to wood burners and were experimenting

lissie, Aug 20, 8:24pm
Very low risk unless you are burning them in an open fire - we burn them in a log burner mixed up with othe rwood sources e.g pallets. Compared to the risk of being very cold I suspect it's good call.

budgel, Aug 20, 10:14pm
Go for a walk amongst pine trees and get some pine cones.

maccachic1, Aug 20, 11:51pm
Oh dear your poor neighbours

lissie, Aug 21, 12:29am
WE live on the coast in Wgtn - there is one advantage to being in a an off-the-scale-special-engineer-
ing wind zone

maccachic1, Aug 21, 12:30am
For those who don't give a crap about the environment. http://www.gw.govt.nz/assets/RelocatedUploads/Adlam205/Burning-issues-brochure.pdf

kacy5, Oct 22, 4:58pm
I thought much of the wood used in internal walls in new houses was untreated these days and that made the leaky home situation worse. It could be different areas with different codes but OP could find out.