Firewood - what kind?

Page 1 / 2
soph001, Feb 28, 7:08am
This will be my first winter as a grown-up-with-a-fireplace.
What sort of wood do I get!
Old man something!
Blue gum!
Pine!
And how much do I need! Live in Nelson so it's not wet, just winter-cold.

mottly, Feb 28, 7:22am
we use any wood that's going, usually eucalyptus mixed with kiln dried pine. Or pine, macrocarpa.usually 3 ute loads.but we live in the Coromandel = so not as cold as nelson :)

favouriteseller, Feb 28, 7:35am
weight for weight wood puts out about the same amount of heat

so for like willow which is quite light you need a lot more of it than say beech , which is heavy

you need to price around but maybe some pine from millers might work put cheapest

ideally maybe a couple of cord of bluegum amd one of beech and mix it up,
it may be enough, or maybe to expensive ! ,
depends where in nelly you are, how much you need

but talk to them and others price around

good time to get it and store away , got a wood shed ! if not some old roofing iron etc will keep it dry when stacked up

twink19, Feb 28, 8:09am
wooden pallets, the ones that stuff gets stacked on, Bunnings usually put them out for removal, you will have to cut them up, but its free,start collecting now, we used t get our wood a year in advance in Taupo

trader_84, Feb 28, 8:14am
There is a heap of native hardwood (heavy as) on the beaches if you are close to the west coast of NZ. You're going to get wowsers that say don't burn the stuff because it will rot out your firebox etc. We've done it for near on a couple of decades and ours ain't shown any signs of rotting out. I've fixed them before too . they are nothing someone handy with a MIG, angle grinder and a spraygun can't sort out. If anything . its harder on the chainsaws - its the sand. We burn treated wood from off building sites also . no problem. Just sayin .

trader_84, Feb 28, 8:17am
And good on you for getting a fire place/box thingy. Heaps better heat from one of them than what gas or electric will give you.

neillo1, Feb 28, 9:29am
Great advice - hope you've let your insurance company know.

figjamto, Feb 28, 9:45am
Gum is the best.burns slow and hot.IMO

resolutionx, Feb 28, 10:10am
Pellets are usually treated with chemicals like Methyl Bromide to stop them from rotting/getting infested with Bora/bugs etc. You definitely don't want to be burning that treated timber!

fxx99, Feb 28, 2:20pm
Manuka if you can get it.

mopeds, Feb 28, 4:34pm
Demolition timber, Nelson is full of old houses there must always be a few under renovation, drive around looking for jumbo bins to raid, old timber houses were untreated so it can all be burnt, invest in a cheap drop saw and chop it into usable lengths. The framing rimu is best but flooring, skirting, weather boards etc all burn well, don't worry about the nails just try to cut it where there aren't any, if its an open fire you should avoid painted timber because off its age it will be lead based and give off toxic fumes.

dezzie, Feb 28, 5:10pm
Just get some pine/gum mix, and get it from a good wood supplier, they are listed on the council website (well they are on the tasman one anyway), I think nelson firewood is on there actually, they have a big depot out in richmond down by the recycling centre.
You've reminded me that I better get onto it as well, lol, its moving all last years stuff so I can put the new stuff at the back of the shed that always slows me down, but its march and I need to pull finger.

trader_84, Feb 28, 5:42pm
What do you know about my insurance company . wowser!

lythande1, Feb 28, 5:55pm
Pine burns like paper.
Hard wood lasts longer and can be banked.
Of course it costs more too.macrocarpa is probably the cheapest, it sparks but in a wood burner that's not an issue.

trader_84, Feb 28, 6:17pm
Pine to start it off . then 1 hunk of Totara got from anywhere between Tangimoana and Foxton on the beach. Will go hard all night and still have the after glow in the morning.

rainrain1, Feb 28, 6:25pm
Don't steal the red pine.it's mine!

trader_84, Feb 28, 6:36pm
Share! Its mine toooooo!

cantabman1, Feb 28, 7:05pm
Macracarpa is very good in the mix. Its a hard wood and burns a long time, and also crackles and spits giving a real fire soundwhen burning.
Its best mixed with some dry pine which is much cheaper.
In Ch Ch we go thru 4 cu metres of wood.

lazeeboy, Feb 28, 7:32pm
Hi Sophie. I burn about 1 metre each week in winter (fire going all day & most of the night).But I have open eyes for firewood, side of the road - I'll pull up and whip out the hi viz and stihl.or ask a cocky if I can clean up deadfall.

Haven't paid for wood in ages.

Do you use the facebook trading pages! The local ones here have some guys that sell wood, usually quite a bit cheaper than the yard merchants.

Also, beingin Nelson you may not feel the need for any of the expensive hot burning long lasting hard woods.cheap every day pine might just be enough if the winter is quite mild for you!

redhead96, Feb 28, 8:12pm
Is it an open fire or a fire box.
As if it is an open fire you do not want to burn untreated wood that spits like manuka.

soph001, Feb 28, 10:23pm
I love free, so I must remember to carry with me at all times a hi viz and my chainsaw.
Thanks for all your advice.

shaun16, Mar 1, 3:17am
you'd be surprised how much free wood is around. especially if people know youre keen. i have managed to get a fair bit free from a guy i work with. also got offered some from a brothers mate. and then yesterday my mother said theres a couple oftrees that had fallen down at there place i could come and chop up. if you are able to chop it up yourself and cart it (even in the back of the car if needed) then its all good. wood is quite expensive

geoff_m, Mar 1, 8:40am
Talk to arbourists - they always have wood to get rid of if you have a chainsaw,and somewhere to store it to dry.
There is a regular on Freecycle who announces when he has wood to get rid of.

solarboy, Mar 1, 9:24am
It's normally only the reusable pallets like the blue painted 'Chep' ones for example that are treated as they're used multiple times. The unpainted single use ones are always untreated timber as it's cheaper and long life isn't required so they're safe to burn.

toffeey, Mar 31, 6:07pm
Hi, I'm in Nelson too. I've bought all sorts of mixes over the years and just find that pine is fine. Last year I got a mix of old man pine and slab wood and that was brilliant. This year I have just got split pine but it is bone dry and crusty with resin so I know it will be great. Also I would like to say well done for having a fire. It is so FRUSTRATING that so many people let their right to have a fireplace expire. Fine if they stay in their houses but lots of people I know didn't replace the fires in time and moved on, making it somebody elses problem. NOTHING beats a fire.