Removing pines/firewood?

jaybee38, Mar 10, 1:12am
We have about 70 x 30-year-old pines, and about the same number of 40-year-old poplars that we want removed. They are all pretty big and too expensive to have taken out individually by a tree feller. Does anyone know if firewood companies might be interested in removing them at no cost to us! I am guessing this would be pretty small numbers for them, so not sure if it would be worth their while. We did call a couple of people a few years back and they were going to come out to look, but never did. Access is pretty good as they are on paddock boundaries. Are there any health and safety considerations on our part, or is that up to whoever removes them!

lythande1, Mar 10, 1:59am
Why don't you ring some and ask.70 is a reasonable number, but as we are not the firewood merchants, you are better to ask them directly.

les6, Mar 10, 2:45am
logs are getting good money at the moment ,i was told today of a fellow that had alot he was set to mill and was offered $100 a tonne!

annies3, Mar 10, 3:11am
Where abouts are you !

annies3, Mar 10, 3:36am
It is the wrong time of the year for firewood tree felling, they would not be dry for this winter, whoever does this will need a decent size tractor, large saws, a truck, and plenty of knowledge & experience, so it will cost a good bit to do if anyone takes it on, and no return for about 12months.

jason60, Mar 10, 3:38am
One thing I've noticed on farms is, the current farmer is quick to pull down and cut up the decent size pine for firewood, but usually never replants for future generations.

Wouldnt it be best if you cut down 10 mature pines a year, every couple years you planted 50 new ones on paddock edges etc for future use!

zak410, Mar 10, 4:08am
Contact some sawmills, they maybe interested for the timber.

lazeeboy, Mar 10, 4:43am
I think you might get around $1.50 - $2.50 per tonne for firewood grade timber felled and removed from site.

Pity you aren't closer I'd be more than happy to get rid of those nasty nasty pines (and maybe the poplars too) for you.

spirogryo, Mar 10, 7:13am
Two things I love doing,digging spuds and cutting fire wood.If you were closer,I would be there to morrow.

squeaking, Mar 10, 8:34am
when i was portable saw milling i wouldpay you up to $100 per standing tree, even if you only have firewood grade you should still get a certain amount for the trees ,dont give it away or pay someone to remove it ,Its worth more than you think, any timber contractor should have insurance for his crew and for damages to your property etc

jaybee38, Mar 11, 4:34am
Thanks heaps for your replies.
Jason60 - We have already put in another shelter belt (some distance away) and will probably replace these ones too (not with pines) once they have gone.
We are in North Canterbury (yes, I wish you sawmilling people were closer too!).

rsr72, Apr 11, 6:51pm
Aim for next year's firewood if you have cutting for that carried out, and have them cut after any fire bans have been removed- you're going to have a lot of toppings to burn off after any fire risk has gone.