Taps which are easy to use?

rpvr, Nov 3, 11:05pm
My old mum is 90 and still living in her own house. She has arthritis and finds some of the taps difficult to turn on and off. I thought ceramic cartridge taps may be the answer. Any advice on brands which are OK but don't cost the earth? Her house has seen better days so probably not worth spending a fortune. She could just get a plumber but he would probably want to sell her very costly one. I though we could possibly but some on here and get a plumber to install.

lythande1, Nov 3, 11:45pm
Mixers rather then taps perhaps.

tintop, Nov 4, 7:41pm
Have a look in the Methven catalogue. There are some lever operated options there.

Single faucet with a single action left/right - on /off lever.

Restrictors could be fitted to the connections to limit maximum flow.

bluefrog2, Nov 4, 10:18pm
Lever taps are much easier to use than twist taps. Go to a good plumbing showroom and try them out. You should be able to push up the lever easily with the back of your hand, then tap it down with the edge of your palm to shut off the water. Get a good quality one, and the ceramic washers last forever.

EDIT: At the showroom, ask about pricing. Then see if your plumber can get one for cheaper than the regular retail price. They usually get trade discounts.

bluefrog2, Nov 4, 10:22pm

rednicnz, Nov 5, 12:09am
Definitely a mixer tap - can be operated with the back of your hand.

I love my swivel basin tap - makes rinsing it down much easier:
http://www.methven.com/nz/tapware/basin-mixers/promix-swivel-basin-mixer

rpvr, Nov 5, 6:44pm
Many thanks for the suggestions.

paix1, Nov 5, 8:32pm
. I have that one too - but on the end of mine I have an attachment that rotates 360 & up & down and can also be a shower-stream (great for washing lettuce etc) Would never be without it!

tintop, Nov 5, 8:58pm
Thinking about mixer taps - for someone that has never used one and who has limited dexterity and 90 years young, are they really the best choice ?
My mum at 85 used to get confused with the left right up down action required.

Thats why I suggested single lever separate taps.

bluefrog2, Nov 6, 12:44am
Usually, with an up/down lever mixer, you set the "mix" location and just tap up or down to turn the water on or off. The mixing operation is a side to side movement, and it takes more effort than simply turning on or off as you have to grip the lever to get the right control. Unless you live with lots of people who like turning the water really hot, it's safe enough for even young children to use.

fhpottery, Nov 6, 4:28am
Single lever taps hospital style the only way. Not confusing, big handles and can be operated by bumping (elbows etc). Not cheap thow

tintop, Nov 7, 12:17am
'Usually' being the key word here.

Op's situation is 'unusual', as was my mothers.

mrploppy, Aug 5, 1:57pm
I have an older type house with individual hot & cold taps. I have replaced all the inserts with the ceramic type as both my wife & I have trouble with arthritis. While they initial cost is high (about $60.00 each) they are great because it only takes a half turn from off to full & I have never had a leak or failure.