Laundry taps advice please

karmae, Mar 19, 12:30am
It seems to be the season for them packing up, mine, mothers and motherlaws. Replaced mine with a second hand one (yet to fit). But motherinlaw lives nowhere near us so she got a plumber in.

It's a Methven dual washing machine/laundry tub one, (2 white turning knobs).The plumber said the brass is worn and she could get a knew insert for $150 approx, but he would not use a second hand tap replacement. The next day she said the hot is dripping too. She was going to get plumber back to look at hot incase it was just a washer, but if it also needs an insert that would be $280 in total plus labour.
I am wondering if it might not be cheaper to get 2 new taps, I don't know if more labour is involved in replacing whole tap or putting in the brass inserts.

Bunnings had the Methven ones for $374 new, but they had other makes a lot cheaper. There was a pair of Felton for $170. Also seen some other makes $280-$350
Does anyone know if these Felton ones are okay. I saw on one website for Felton ones the following but I dont know what it means

"Water Warning - NOT WATER EFFICIENT when tested in accordance with AS/NZS6400.The Evo range of tapware is zero star WELS (Water Labelling Scheme) as it is designed to provide maximum flow, rather than restrict flow on low and unequal pressure situations."

But it also said the last sentence "Zero Star for Greens"

carter19, Mar 19, 3:12am
Go to a plumbing merchant. They will know which are better quality and probably have a better price

aredwood, Mar 19, 7:16am
All tapware must be rated under the WELS scheme (star ratings). That's why those taps you are looking at are 0 star, it means they have good flow.

As for those existing taps dripping I have a 100% success rate with rewashering them (im a plumber / gasfitter). They don't take normal tapwashers though. You need a Methven 258 washer / seal kit (1 kit per tap), to fix those. Any good plumbing store should stock them.

aredwood, Mar 19, 7:19am
If the handle turns around forever - replace tap. If it turns off tight but still drips - new washer kit and reseat. Plumber should have a reseating tool.

karmae, Apr 25, 5:44pm
Thanks, had one rewashered at home used those O ring washers it continues to drip. The plumber rewashered the one at motherinlaws and it continues to drip, and he said needs new brass as existing one worn.
But will go to a plumbing store and have a look at that Methven 258 washer / seal kit. Whats different about that kit to generic O rings!
Plumber checked tap said it doesn't need reseating.