Bird feeder recipes.

korbo, Aug 25, 9:42am
bought a bird feeder that was in a paua shell. it smelt like dripping with birdseed thru it. I want to make some, but have the idea, I need something else other than dripping/fat to hold it together, as hanging in a tree, and the warmer weather would melt it.
Does anyone know the *magic* ingredient.thx

the birds went crazy eating it.

msnz1, Aug 25, 12:42pm
May be honey? Or something along those lines and fat (lard) I think the feeding cakes are best provided in Winter when feed is scarcer for the birds, so no chance of them melting. in summer the birds like nectar and water.

hezwez, Aug 25, 12:47pm
I gently melt a block of lard and add a cup of cornmeal. In each of 12 gem irons I place a spoonful of birdseed and then pour in the melted fat. When it's set I briefly sit the pan in a little hot water to allow me to flip them out and I store them in the freezer, giving the birds one or two a day during winter. I don't feed them in summer. They line up at the kitchen window peering in if we're late with breakfast!

korbo, Aug 26, 2:49am
awe,thank you #3, i will try that. I know what you mean, they are waiting in a certain tree outside the dinning room, we whistle and down they come for bread or whatever.
where/how do the birds get them . ?
I guess you could also use patty papers inside a muffin tin.

rainrain1, Aug 26, 5:51am
I used to do this which worked well
Tie a large button or washer to one end of a long piece of string. Place the button end in a margarine container or similar. Pour melted fat mixed with birdseed (or whatever you like to make) into container just before it sets, keeping the loose end of the string up through the centre, and the button on the bottom. Once set, unmold and tie string to a tree.
Try and keep the button centre bottom

matthews4, Aug 26, 8:28am
We have a board, about 1' x 2', with nails on it. We cut citrus fruit (often get at Opp shops) and push on to nails. Also soak bread, and put in old saucers on board. Also, quarter cup sugar dissolved in water, in deeper containers - tuis and all other birds love this. Also buy wild bird weed at Bin in and put in saucer, on board. Can see from end of our lounge, and feed them morning and evening, it is a very busy place, and we love watching. Saw a similar set up at Driving Creek Railway years ago, and HB made ours - board is nailed on 4x4 post, which cats can't get too. Near a tree, where birds can land and check where our cat's are, but not so close cat's can get birds. All live happily together.

thistle4, Aug 26, 9:13pm
I just melt dripping in a pan and once it's melted I add a packet of wild birdfood, pumpkin seeds and sultanas and pour it into plastic containers (I use the ones you get coleslaw in at the supermarket). When it's almost set I tip it out of the container and thread some string through it and tie it to a cocktail stick at the bottom to hold the string in place. Once it's fully set I hang it in the tree.

jbsouthland, Aug 26, 10:24pm
I have just made my twice weekly " bird slice " . dripping gently melted add peanut butter. sunflower seeds , pumpkin seeds , wild birdseed mix, honey, breadcrumbs , fruits , coconut etc etc. sometimes just a couple of those ingreds. tip into a slice tin . cut into a slice of bread size once semi set. into freezer . etc
I used to make the hanging ones from old dripping cut down containers and two toothpicks crossed over like an X tied by string them suspended etc ( candle making method ) to hang them .
However i found on here a wonderful feeder . piece of wood approx 3/4 " thick . cut to a square . cut out a U shape size of a slice of bread. stapled mesh across both sides of the U frame. two hangers screwed in at top . . slide bread or my made to measure " slice " , thick slices of apple , orange etc and then the birds can feast from either side . I have two hanging at all times and many birds on each one :)
Also have a much admired chalet birdhouse that has lived in 3 gardens now . much loved by all birds and spiders , the odd snail inside too . I would love to get another made as its getting rather ancient :)

korbo, Aug 27, 9:44am
#10, have made some like this out of 2litre milk bottles,and yes, threaded a stick thru. havent thought about the bits of fruit etc, birds seem to love picking at apples, didnt know they liked citrus tho.
will be busy this weekend *bird cooking*. thanks to all.
'

rainrain1, Aug 27, 8:14pm
They go into a dizzy spin over banana too

jbsouthland, Aug 27, 8:53pm
. and kiwifruit. I love how they leave the empty " boats " of any fruits peel or skin .
I like your easy peasy lemon squeezy bird feeder #10

rainrain1, Aug 27, 9:24pm
They poop in it a bit, I have to wash it out once a week, I keep a toothbrush especially for the job :-) I stop feeding them any time soon, I think they need to know how to forage for their own tucker for most of the year. One or two come down to the lower tree branches and pick peanut butter from my hand.

matthews4, Aug 29, 7:32am
Just a caution about the kiwifruit - the bird poop spreads the kiwifruit in forests, and they strangle trees. we do not feed them any now, after reading that. Good hints on here, hope more people feed and enjoy the birds in their garden.

paix1, Aug 29, 8:33am
. lovely photo & thanks for the idea!

bev00, Oct 16, 10:04am
recycling